Logo

2006 225HP fuse problem

bmw332is

I am currently experiencing a sporadic problem with the 10amp fuse blowing (2nd from the left fuse facing the fuse block) on both my 225 engines. This started with the Starboard motor only, but yesterday*I blew the same fuse on my port motor. The motors have 650 hours on them

What is blowing my mind (NPN intended) is that the motors will run fine at all speeds all day fishing and I shut them off at the end of the day.... andthen sometimes*when I go to start the motor again the next time*that fuse is blown again.

Based on what I have read in these forums this fuse supports the high pressure fuel pump...when the fuse is blown the motor starts but will not stay running.

It is odd that both motors are having the same trouble.

Looking at the circuit, the two things that come to mind is...

1. You may have some water or sediment in fuel (etc) and the fuel pumps are locking up enough and drawing too much current thus blowing the fuse. Once it gets running the current draw is ok. Drain your vapor separator and check for water or sediment.

2. You may have an issue internally with the main power relay assemblies. The relay contacts might be internally shorting to ground.

Just a couple of thoughts.

Mike

When you dock your boat, are you raising your engines? If so, then it is likely you are shorting out the circuit when raising. And if it is happening with both engines, then it is likely you are initiating a short in the control harness wiring between the engines and the transom, right at the harness split, depending how you are set up

Thanks for the replies!

The boat is lift kept and I do not raise the motors. One other thing, the first time this happen on the starboard motor was when I replace the 10 amp fuse, the starter tried to engage with the key off. I shut off all power then turned it back on and it was fine??

Thanks again for your help!

Your last post points a little more to the main relay module. It has the main power relay, start relay and fuel pump relay all inside a sealed unit. If moisture gets inside, the resulting corrosion can cause many kinds of gremblins. There could also be corrosion in some of the connectors that go to it and/or the ECU that could cause similar problems. Maybe even your key switch....although that circuit is isolated from the fuel pump relay by the main power relay module.

Depending on how electrically acute you are, you could (after disconnecting the battery or turning off the battery switch to the engine) disconnect all the connectors that you can find going to the main power relay (black plastic module about 1.5"x 4 x 3) that is located on the front of the engine under the large plastic cover. It is somewhat buried under connectors etc. Make sure they are all clean and free of corrosion. If you have some corrosion wd-40 does a pretty good job getting rid of it.

This module has had some issues in some of the 225's up to 2006. They should have been replaced years ago. If your motor is in that vintage and the module was not replaced, it points more to the module.

If you are not comfortable doing any of this, have a Honda Dealer check it out.

Mike

Back