Logo

2006 225 Vapor Separator Drain Screw Loose

FFMedic75

This last trip out engine started running REALLY rough and exhaust smelled lean. Conched out on us a few times and was difficult to restart. First time I've ever smelled the exhaust since owning her in February. We idled back to the ramp and I got to changing LP filter and HP screen. Pulled the VST drain tube down to also drain that when I found fuel in the tube... and it kept draining... and draining while I grabbed a (long enough) screwdriver to check the drain screw. (Fuel was clean) Drain screw was open, which surprised me AND led me to believe that was the cause of the problem. I have a new VS drain screw coming in tomorrow, but wanted to ask if anyone has ever experienced this? I'm figuring the gasket was worn, but I'm just taking a wild-assed, (somewhat) educated guess.

I'll also pull the plugs to check their condition.

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/H...6/BF225A6 XXA/VAPOR SEPARATOR ASSY/parts.html Part #5

Thanks!

That is the first I've ever heard of one coming loose on this forum. Normally, it's the opposite problem - folks can't get them to turn out.

I do not know for sure, however, the open drain may have lowered the fuel pressure, causing the perceived lean condition.

The only way to know for sure is to check fuel pressure with it open.

Practically, though, since you probably do not have a fuel pressure gauge that will fit, just take it out and run it and see what happens.

As to how it happened....a guess would be as simple as...when the motor was put away for storage, someone should have drained the vapor separator. It would be easy enough to forget to close that drain screw, if the mechanic was also working on other motors at the same time.

Of course, I have never done that......but then you ask....how would I come up with that idea? Hmmmmmmmm.

Mike

The high pressure pump has two ports that feed it, one lower and one upper. I've noticed during pump testing that the upper port needs to be fed in order to maintain proper fuel pressure even though the high pressure pump's suction is on the very bottom of the pump. The pump can and will suck air down through the fuel though the upper port if that port is not totally submerged in fuel. I'm thinking that with your drain open the low pressure pump couldn't keep up enough flow to keep the upper port covered and that would cause a drop in fuel pressure.

Thanks to all for the responses! I replaced the following on the engine: drain screw, LP Fuel Filter, HP Fuel Screen, the thermostats, and the fuel line/bulb. Started right up, idled smooth, and didn't hesitate when throttled up and kept at a higher RPM for 45 seconds. Of course the real test will be once out on the water and under load... That'll be tomorrow. I was also getting, what I now believe to be, a high temp alarm every so often so I changed the thermostats. Just found the manual for the tach and how to read the symbols, well, to LOOK for the symbols, with any accompanying tone should it happen again. The previous owner said it happened to him a few times, but he learned the engine liked to be tilted up one bar past halfway, otherwise the stock prop and weight of the Everglades puts too much strain on the motor. Ought to be interesting when I get a Jack Plate installed...

Thanks again for the advice! Although I always felt I had at least one screw loose... Or so I'm told.

Put her in the water last Saturday and noticed no pee stream. Had one with muffs attached, so I think, "great! my water pump is dead!" I figured I would rod the pee hole with some weed eater line before giving up all hope! Low and behold the stream started up... Seems I knocked the kidney stone loose! I ran my finger over the hole and was able to get the sharp item out. Thinking (hoping) it was buildup knocked loose from changing thermostats. Ran her around a bit before making the run across the Bay to watch the Blue Angels perform. No alarms and no hesitating engine! Crossing fingers for both tomorrow's weather and run.

Back