Logo

2003 225 won't start other starts but stalls as soon as I increase throttle.

x32

Member
My one 225 will only start with starter fluid and my other 225 will only rough idle and when I give it throttle it stalls.
I replaced my water fuel separator,there was a little water not much in fuel but fuel rust color. I just ordered the filter on the front side of the engine but it did not look real bad. I last used the boat last year ran good put fresh gas in it with stabilizer and put it away for winter. Thanks for your help.
 
Could be a whole bunch of things. You'll need to go through a process of elimination.

The first thing I would do is to drain out all the old fuel from the filters and fuel lines, and especially drain the VST. Then hook up each engine to a small portable tank of fresh fuel and see if hat fixes the problem. If so, you'll need to drain your fuel tank and start with new fuel. If it does not impact the problem, then at least you have eliminated questions about bad gas.

As part of that process, disconnect the fuel line from the engine and see if you can squirt out fuel from the line using the pump up bulb. That eliminates any problems with obstructions in the fuel line.

If none of that helps, then come back on this forum with more information.
 
Update got the new filters in at the front of engine and both engines started right up idle great but as i increased the power to 1500 rpm it started to bog but as i ran it, it continued to run better and better and after an hour ran great up to 3000 rpm before starting to bog. I ran out of time so I didn't get to the VST I looked for it but only spent about 5 minutes trying to find, I followed the clear hose at the back of the engine but could not find the set screw,how long does the screwdriver need to be to get to the VST set screw? I also noticed that when I hit some waves the engines would bog.

I plan on working on it over the next couple of days but if the about leads you to think what is likely wrong your thoughts would be much appreciated and help on finding the set screw and length of screwdriver would help it would also give me a better idea how far down the set screw is.
 
You need a 10" flat blade screwdriver and a light to look down in there where the clear plastic hose terminates. The set screw will be right next to the termination point. Alternatively, you can remove the right side of the upper cowling and get to it very easily. Given what you have described so far, I think you will need to pull your high pressure fuel filters and inspect/replace them. You'll need to remove the upper cowling to replace the HP fuel filter.

At this point I strongly recommend that you invest in the Helm Shop manual. It's about $116, but worth every penny for running diagnostics and doing your own repairs.
 
When you change the HP fuel filter, get a new o-ring for the filter cover use some oil on it when reinstalling it. If changing this filter does not cure your troubles it will be time to pull the fuel injectors and have them cleaned.
 
Update cleaned the vst at first nothing came out blew onto it and then gas and other stuff came out not a lot of dirt but some did. Did it 2x to each engine took it out and within 30 minutes got one engine up to 6000 rpm and the other to a bit over 5500 rpm but this is how my engines were from new speed was off about a knot but could be other factors overall very happy and the people on this foram are great thank you all and CHawk 25 DLX thanks so very much out to the Hudson Canyon for some tuna and CHawk if you are in NJ I will give you some just let me know.
 
I didn't and I think I will leave it for now as the motors are running as good as they were new I always had the one run at a lower RPM. Maybe I will try to replace the high pressure filter when I take the boat out, how long does the job take about?
 
I LOVE fresh tuna. Never cook it, just sashimi style. Where in NJ?

But I won't be able to take you up on your kind offer. Just had a knee replacement, so I'm in dry dock for another four weeks.

BTW - As Jamie said, definitely replace those HP filters at the first chance you get.
 
should take only about 30 minutes just pay close attention to which way the filter comes out so you put the new one back the same way only 3 screws I used a super long philphead screwdriver w elbow pressure so not to strip screws real easy job
 
Back
Top