Logo

2000BF 25HP, possible flushing alternative?

For years by boat was trailered 10 miles to the dock (salt water) and back on a day to day basis. When back at home the prop was put in a 55gal drum of fresh water and run for 5-10 min to flush the salt out. After 10 years my mechanic did an insoection and said the internals looked like new, good job.

5 years ago I got dock space. Needless to say pulling the "WASH" plug, installing the adapter, flushing without running and putting it back together while hanging off the back of the boat is a pain in the ass to say the least.

A Google search turned up an article on the Catalina forum. Some of those guys put a tee in the water line under the engine cover, add a hose fitting and flush from there, much easier.

Is there any reason I should be wary of this? If this seems OK can the engine be run with this setup?

thanks,

Rob

The engine in your example is an 8 hp or an older 9.9. The hose that they tap into is in the main flow of the water passage.

Unfortunately, as far as I know, the 25 HP does not have any external hoses like this in the middle of the cooling system. The only one that I know of is the telltail hose. That probably could be used, but it is a small diameter hose, which, most likely will limit the volume of water flow.

I suppose...nothing ventured.....nothing gained. You could try it and see how it works.

Any flushing method without running the motor (like you used to) will not compare to running the engine and having the thermostat open. But, I am sure you already know that.

So, you just need to do the best that you can.

Upon further reflection.....

It seems, that I have see somewhere, where the flush screw (although on a different size motor) was replaced by a 90 degree fitting with a hose attached to it and run along the side of the motor to the front of the motor. It had a garden hose fitting on the end (capped off while the engine was running).

Hopefully, someone else has already done something that you are trying to do....and will jump in.

Mike

Thanks Mike, I took a quick look under the hood when I was last at the dock and saw what I thought was a similar hose but on reflection it might just have been a breather tube. I've been trying to get a diagram of the cooling passages but no luck. I have a shop manual and they show nothing.

I thought about rigging the hose the way you described, seems risky since it's submerged and there would be considerable stress at speed.

May have to live with it.

Flushing in a barrel with tap water is allways the best method after each use especially salt water use. Can you put it on the muffs with the engine raised out of the water?Like was said you only need to run it long enough for the thermostat to open then unplug the fuel line and let it run out of gas.

My BF 225 lives on a lift, so I rigged up an external flushing system. See attached picture (if it works - if not send me an e-mail at [email protected]) I diverted the flush hose to a 1/2 inch T fitting and used a 1/2 inch heater hose to a brass garden hose cutoff, attached to a brass quick disconnect fitting that attaches to the top of my transom. I've been using that setup for 8 years with no problems except having to change out the quick disconnect fittings when they get too corroded.

Flushing hook up.jpg

However, it sounds like you have a whole different setup. If you can find any main or flushing water hose on your engine, something similar should work for you.

Back