Logo

2000 Honda 90hp problem

GreatLaker

My 90 hp motor won't try to start, and I can't tilt the motor up.
When I push the tilt switch on the side of the motor I just hear a buzzing sound coming from the control relay. I thought the relay was bad so I replaced it but the new one does the same thing.
Everything was working in the fall when I put it in storage.
Has anyone had this happen and if so what was the what was the solution?
Thanks in advance for your help.

Hi,
This sounds to me like either a flat battery or poor/corroded battery cable connections.

I would remove the cables at the battery and clean the clamps and the battery posts. It's best to use a battery terminal cleaning tool... $2 or $3 at the auto parts store.

If you have a battery charger, put it on the battery and charge it before hooking the cables back up. Overnight on a trickle type charger will work well.

If you have a volt meter, check battery voltage and then reconnect the cables. You want to see about 12.5 volts or so. If you don't have a charger or voltmeter you can take the battery to an auto parts store. Most of them will test it for free.

Doing those things is likely to get you some positive results.

If not, there are a few other little chores you can do that aren't too difficult and don't take much time. Get back to us with what you find.

Good luck.

Hi,
This sounds to me like either a flat battery or poor/corroded battery cable connections.

I would remove the cables at the battery and clean the clamps and the battery posts. It's best to use a battery terminal cleaning tool... $2 or $3 at the auto parts store.

If you have a battery charger, put it on the battery and charge it before hooking the cables back up. Overnight on a trickle type charger will work well.

If you have a volt meter, check battery voltage and then reconnect the cables. You want to see about 12.5 volts or so. If you don't have a charger or voltmeter you can take the battery to an auto parts store. Most of them will test it for free.

Doing those things is likely to get you some positive results.

If not, there are a few other little chores you can do that aren't too difficult and don't take much time. Get back to us with what you find.

Good luck.
Thsnk you,
I've looked for corrosion on the battery terminals but not at the battery selector switch.
The batteries are both charged 1 reads 12.58 and the other is 13.10.
I'll investigate at the switch and report my findings.

I agree CLEANING, with a wire brush, the battery switch connections might help.
Clean and Shiny.

I don't like the fact that you say "I've looked for corrosion "....
If that's what you're doing.

That's not good enough in my opinion. You should remove the cables and physically clean them and the posts until clean and shiny.

I also recommend REMOVING AND CLEANING the cable end at the starter motor. Because, that is the point that battery power is distributed to all the engine's electrical components.

Looking at electrical connections doesn't really gain you anything.

CS.....
....Clean and Shiny.

Good luck.

Agree with IGMO, good advice and will add one thing, after getting a clicking noise or no noise for that matter, carefully feel all suspect connections for heat, a poor connection will often get hot.

And if I may add something as well, run your fingers over the entire length of each battery cable. If the insulation gets nicked, the cable can corrode to the point it can no longer carry much (enough) amperage anywhere over the entire length of the cable!

Just re-read my note. It'll make much more sense if I add that while feeling your way along the cables, you're generally looking for a big fat section, indicating corrosion is present internally.

Back