Logo

200 hp Running, but smokes quite a bit..any ideas

Ok, an update..I pulled out all spark plugs to do a compression check and I am getting a bunch of fuel spitting out of cylinder #6... Is it possible to have a sticky injector?

Yep, it is. Also possible that valves not seating properly on that cylinder. Another possibility is that one of the seals on the intake valve is not seated properly and is letting oil get into that cylinder.

Are you sure that is white smoke and not steam in the video. It looks like it might be steam. If it was burning fuel, it likely would be a lot darker than what was shown. If it's burning oil, it would be white smoke.

Its not steam, engine was not warmed up. Trust me on this..and when I mean a bunch of fuel spilling out of cylinder #6, it's like pulling the plug off the VST and turning on fuel pump. Lots of fuel..

Skooter - what you describe does sound like it might be an injector stuck open. That's the only way a lot of fuel can get into the cylinder.

Also agree with Chris - not good running at those rev's on muffs, or even a small tank.

Good idea, i will do that this evening. I thought about swapping out the injector, since I have another parts motor to see if the injector is faulty.

I swapped out injector from a 225, and I've learned to keep the o rings on hand.. it started up perfectly and is running great.. I'm pretty sure I had a sticking injector

Skooter. Please continue to keep us updated on all of this. You are one of the few people ever on this forum to completely rebuild the top end of one of these beasts. I would be really interested in your compression numbers once all is back together.

Chawk, I try to spread the good knowledge of my mistakes and successes with the Honda outboards. I know how frustrating it can be to try to figure out issues. Thanks to all the great contributors here we can all keep running..I would have not thought my injector would go bad sitting for 6 months with stabil in the fuel, but it (injector) was wide open spewing the fuel. Luckily I found a complete parts motor for $200 a couple years ago, had bad block but everything was on it, including lower unit. So an injector swap was easy!

Back