Logo

1999 Ficht 175 no start = dead in the water

surreyboy

Hey All !!

Looking for a bit of help , literally dead in the water.
Got my boat at my dock , its about a good day to push it with the kicker to get it to a boat launch , so im hoping the fine folks here may have some suggestions to get it to fire up.

So !!
Its got 180 hrs on it , was running absolutly great ! The cold weather started rolling in & it was getting harder to start in the mornings(id only use it every second or 3rd weekend) temp = 0 deg C over night.
Got up to go drop some prawn traps & fish for the day & couldnt get the thing to start.
Thought it might be the plugs , so i pulled them, & put some new ones in QC10WEP as i read there better & longer lasting than the QC12PEP.(what i pulled out were 7712. no where had stock)
Marked them for the indexing & installed them . Charged the battery & it almost fired but then nothing , just cranking & cranking with no hint of trying to catch.
Normally , when its going to fire , i can here "snapping" from the engine , like the plugs are "sparking" just as it tried to fire right after i charged the batt & installed the new plugs , it did the snapping & caugh but didnt start. kept turning over with nothing.

Any thoughts or suggestions ?
Checked all fuses too...

Thanks everyone in advance !
Cheers

Battery is to small and deep cycle. ....need a minimum 700 starting battery to crank correctly. Also cold weather affects the battery plus oil in motor journals thicken causing slower cranking. Has to meet minimum crank speed for CPS to sync

Battery is to small and deep cycle. ....need a minimum 700 starting battery to crank correctly. Also cold weather affects the battery plus oil in motor journals thicken causing slower cranking. Has to meet minimum crank speed for CPS to sync
ok , makes sense.... but would that affect it in the summer ? during the summer , i would go down & it would fire right up....no issues...
Thanks for the reply (y)

OK , so i was wrong , its 700 CCA & 860 CA & the temp over night here gets to about -2 C right now...So maybe after cranking it the battery dropped & wasnt producing enough juice ?

Anyhow , had the charger on it all night , so ill go check it to see if that gets it fired.

I know when it is about to start , i can hear a "snapping" from the engine , from what i would guess its the plugs sparking ?

You would not hear plugs sparking.-----But you might hear spark jumping to ground.----Or a loose battery cable.----Crank it over at night with cover off.----Look for spark.

Hey , thanks racerone, i have been busy with work but have had it out a few times , i have not checked with it with the cover off....
Its certainly does make a snapping sound & after cranking it for 10-15 min(not strait, at intervals) i clearly know when its going to start because there is just cranking & then the snapping sound & it fires right up once i hear the snapping & once warmed up & out for a run , it starts up just fine every time.....
The snapping wouldnt have anything to do with the DFI would it ?

Ill give it a shot tonigh with the cover off.

Thanks again

The snapping sound is the injectors ticking or the capacitor is leaking. Your problem is one of the following: 1) EMM 2) capacitor 3) high pressure fuel pump

Back