Logo

1998 evinrude 175 Carb problems

sfc2113

My engine has the plastic carb bowls, I have gone through 2 sets of them this season. A full carb rebuild in Mar, and now new bowls. When I rebuilt them I never over torqued them, I just close the gaps. The bowls are warping and leak fuel at high rpms. I can only assume its from ethanol. I only use valve tech marine fuel and I still add a little stabil marine to the tanks at fill ups. Someone told me I should be sanding the bowls flat instead of buying new ones. The bowls have a ridge to help with the sealing of the gasket, I think its to help keep the gasket in place while securing the the bowl to the bodies. sanding them would remove this ridge, has anyone done this and what success have you had /not had.....

Sand both sides on a flat surface, clean, add a bead of fuel resistant form a gasket, put together, let it cure for 48 hours before use, it has an 85% of success.

Ethanol wont warp the bowls but not torqueing to spec and in proper sequence will....Also only use OEM gasket as they are thicker than the aftermarket kits....

I have only used the rebuild oem kits... and put the bowls on to exact specs in the oem book. I could not believe how loose they looked but they did not leak once primed and have been fine till the temps have been over 90's . Still they warped... even faster than when I didn't use the proper tool and specs. But this time when they warped the fuel leaks were real bad fuel pouring out the bowls gaskets at high speed causing surges and rmp drops . If not the ethanol than the heat is what is causing it or both. Just very aggravating and at 148$ to replace each bowl plus my time I guess I cant complain. Others have paid upwards to 1k to only have this problem.... was just hoping I could take the old warped bowls sand them flat and have them ready to put on once the new ones warped again. The bowl gasket are pretty tough as you mentioned they seem to maintain there structure for a 2nd application but I replace them this time.

Back