Logo

1998 200hp Flywheel removal

jslee766

I have to remove the flywheel on my 200hp J200txecm to repair or replace the magnets. Not sure at the moment if any have to be replaced. They have shifted to where I can not feel a gap between them. The question is when I remove the flywheel what position, marking, timing will need to be done once it comes off and goes back on. I can get a used one for around $450 or pay mechanic $700 to do the work. Any help would be appreciated.

Buy a good puller if you have to.-----No timing issues to worry about.------Get the factory epoxy repair kit.----Easy fix in my opinion.

It seems like it would be easy as long as the flywheel comes off without major difficulties. What do I look for on the magnets that may or may not need to be replaced?

It was pointed out to me by the mechanic that rebuilt the carbs. When he showed me I can fell them touching each other with a gap only between three of them.

If magnets are not broken they can be re-used.-------Just make sure you put them back in the same way ( one at a time ) so poles stay the same.------Use factory epoxy kit.----Measure that gap or use some suitable hose to space them.------See ( carefully ) if the others are perhaps loose.

If the others are not loose should I remove and put new epoxy on all magnets or just fix the one that shifted? How do I free up the others? I have priced the epoxy with and with out new magnets and it’s really not as expensive as I thought.

Back