Logo

1998 115 hp Johnson Fuel Issue?

Pyro59

I have a 1998 115 hp Johnson model J115TSLECM. It has been sitting for about 4 years. I start it up every 6 months or so with fresh fuel. Now it has developed a bad miss. I ran a can of Seafoam through it with a gallon of gas. No change. Checked electrical system and found one questionable coil. I replaced it along with plugs and plug wires. Compression within 4 psi between all cylinders. This took care of the miss and it runs smooth now.

Prior to doing this it ran rough but would stay running at idle and ran good at WOT. Now it acts like it is starving for fuel and stalls at idle and with quick acceleration. It accelerates normally when throttle is moved slowly. As it is trying to stall I can hit the choke and it will rev up for a few seconds then slowly stall from what seems to be a lack of fuel.

I replaced the fuel pump, no change. The bulb stays hard. I checked the fuel lines and as far as I can tell they all look fine.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Having to use the electric primer valve clearly indicates that carburetors need cleaning.----The primer puts fuel into the motor.----This fuel bypasses the carburetor float bowls and metering circuits.

Make sure you use automotive (black) fuel lines, the grey ones have a clear inner liner that breaks down over time, esp with ethanol blended fuel, resulting in clogged filters/pumps and overall poor engine performance.

Back