Logo

1985 v4 115 - replaced vert shaft.. light clicking in neutral when i turn by hand. This normal?

FstaRockr Burns

Regular Contributor
Replaced the driveshaft after it snapped at the water pump. got it all back together today - when I spin the shaft in neutral it feels like the pinion is catching lightly.. makes a very light click click sound.. Fwd/Rev work fine - but neutral is not looking right. I dont wanna spin this up and strip the tips off. When I lift the shaft ever so slightly the clicking goes away.

any ideas?

I used the same shims under the upper seal carrier but they only limit the upwards travel - also repacked the needle bearings with grease (measured them and they didnt seem tapered so just put em all in. Only part that changed was the shaft-
​​​​​​​
 
Watching this vid.. it seems it makes the same sound as mine. He starts spinning the shaft in fwd (oddly no sound), then clicks one down to N (rumbles), then again one down into REv (same rumble sound).


This is the sound im referring to - I guess they do this in N?
 
When under load, gear thrust holds the pinion and shaft up within the limits set by the shims. Therefor the correct shims are critical. You need the special tool to determine that.

Yes, when not under load, the shaft & pinion drop down, jamming the gear teeth together making it feel rough. It won't do that in actual use.
 
problem is the only place i can see to shim the lower unit is in the forward gear right in the nose of the unit and on top of the drive shaft- will run it and see. I have a pretty good idea of the amount of play on gears.. a light click is usually good.. not tight and not too much.. it feels about the same as before-
 
?---Top of the driveshaft is the only shimming done on these.---Very important to get it correct.---Perhaps use some " Prussian blue " to check proper tooth contact.
 
Back
Top