Logo

1985 50 HP #2 Cylinder gone - is it boreable?

Progator135

Regular Contributor
cyl1.jpg E50BELCO - deepest gouge appears to be somewhere in the .010-.015 range. Cylinder measures 3.210. Think it can it be bored out? If so Ill rebuild it with a full rebuild kit and oversize pistons etc.. If not Ill make a lamp out of it. Havent had it looked at yet. Sleeve appears to be a good 1/8" thick or better so I dont think its been bored before. What do yall think?

Didn't know if it was bad enough to have you pro's take one glance and tell me if it was even worth my time to do that. If it appears to be worth doing that's my next step.

Yeah ill be getting a full rebuild kit pistons, bearings and gaskets. I've found one on there for $384. I'm just concerned that it's not possible. I'm measuring at the edge with an old dial caliper. If I'm measuring 3.210 and I have a .015 deep gouge to turn out ( hopefully thats all)that would put me at 3.235. Thats not good.

.040 that is good news. I don't know any machinists... I know of a few I'll go talk to tomorrow. Got some good recommendations from folks.
I bought it with the vro removed already...I've been premixing 50:1 since I've had it. It's always ran like a top for the time I've had it...have some wobbly butterfly shafts that make it idle crappy but other than that its been a great motor. If I'm tearing it down I'm going new with everything. Be crazy not to.
And thank you for all the advice!!

Standard finished bore is 3.187
.020 is 3.207
.030 is 3.217
.040 is 3.227
And if you use a Wiseco add .0005 to finished size. If you measuring 3.210 it may have already been bored .030 over and if so it should be stamped into piston at 12:00. You really need to get it apart and measured with a inside mike. If its standard bore .020 will likely clean it up as I have bored others that looked worse and cleaned up at .015. Find a marine shop to bore this as most auto shop cannot semi blind bore and only hone to size. A good machinist will do a truing cut and reset bar and then bore to size and where most mess up is they don't bore all the way to bottom of crankcase and cut the aluminum below the sleeve, if you don't it leaves a step that piston shirt hits...

Last edited:
Ugh....pistons have .030 stamped. Not much meat left to cut. Found a guy that does em close by. Said he'd do both holes for $100. Tore it down and taking it to him tomorrow to get his verdict....
Would make a good stoplight...red bulb in the top, green in the bottom. Too bad it's not a 3 cyl. :rolleyes:

Back