Logo

1984 Johnson 140 Charging system

Rickykjr

I put a voltmeter in the dash years ago, and recently have seen low voltage numbers compared to the past. I checked the regulator / /rectifier in diode check mode on my meter, and the two yellow wires show no continuity to ground either direction. My question is can I put the 35 amp regulator / rectifier in with my old stator? The stator puts out 20 + VAC at idle, so I think its ok.

Thanks. I am digging through different websites, and I believe my 140 may have come with the 35 amp system from the factory. All of the regulators I find, obsolete or current, show 35 amp. Im searching by engine model number, so it should be correct.

But , but the parts list for a 1984 model 140 shows a 10 amp stator.----What is your model # ?----Post it here or a picture of your motor power head and cowling.

The model # is J140TLCRD . I haven't searched for the stator, because I think mine is okay. But all of the regulator rectifier assemblies end up Crossing to a 35 amp. I even found one of the oldest part numbers on eBay for sale and it said it was 35 amp . It does have power trim, which makes a difference for some things.

Well after much research, and a phone call to CDI tech support, I found that the 35 amp regulator / rectifier is the correct one for my motor, even though the stator is rated at 9 amps. According to CDI, the stator doesnt know what regulator is on the motor, (unlike the kind found of autos that excite the field to regulate), and the 35 amp has much bigger diodes that will last longer than the original. Now my system is charging properly, and my tach works.

Back