Logo

1982 Evinrude 140, no spark

Scod

Hi guys, I have an Evinrude 140 that's not getting spark on 1 cylinder. I replaced the power pack and was getting spark to all 4 cylinders but when I put it in the water I had no power again. I hooked up a timing light and found that again I have no spark on that cylinder.

The history of the problem goes back to a dead starter motor. I replaced the brushes, but after the re-installation of the solenoid I may have earthed it out against the block because it blew. Boat was running fine though. A mate brought out a spare solenoid from his 1977 Johnson 115 and we replaced it on the water. It started fine, I let it warm up but when I gave it some throttle it wouldn't go. It turned out I wasn't getting spark to one cylinder. We swapped power packs around, concluded I had a faulty power pack and replaced it. It seemed to run fine on the trailer with the new power pack but was bogging again once I got it out in the water. I didn't check for spark at this point but I decided to clean up the carbies. Once I reinstalled the carbies it seemed to have a better idle but when I ran it again the next day it was terrible again and a quick check with a timing light showed no spark to one cylinder.

The fault began with the replacement of the solenoid, but I'm stumped as to how it could be related. Could that have anything to do with it or is it a coincidence? Could it be a bad coil that's the culprit?

thanks in advance

When I move my power pack across to the other side I lose spark to a cylinder on that side. So something is frying my power packs, same cylinder. Could a dodgy coil do that or is it something else? Stator maybe?

When I move my power pack across to the other side I lose spark to a cylinder on that side. So something is frying my power packs, same cylinder. Could a dodgy coil do that or is it something else? Stator maybe?

Start at the beginning........ You state many times that you are losing spark to 1 (one) cylinder... BUT... unless I am overlooking something in the above posts/replies, you do not say exactly which cylinder or if the spark ever changes cylinders... OR... if the missing spark remains at the same cylinder regardless of what you do with the powerpacks.

Standing in back of the engine, facing the spark plugs, the engine cylinders are marked as follows:

Which cylinder(s) are you speaking of?

The starter solenoid has nothing to do with the ignition system unless you have somehow connected a voltage wire to a wire leading to the ignition system. The ignition system is self contained... any DC battery voltage being fed to the ignition system will destroy it.

Voltage To Powerpack Failures
(Magneto Capacitance Discharge Systems)
(J. Reeves)

The usual cause of having those type powerpacks fail repeatedly is having a very small of voltage applied to the Black/Yellow wire (Kill Circuit) at the pack. Test as follows.
Disconnect the Black/Yellow wire at the powerpack.

Insert either a ampere meter or a volt meter set to its lowest DC voltage reading between that Black Yellow wire on the wiring harness side, NOT the powerpack side and ground.

With the ignition key in the OFF position, observe the meter reading. Now turn the ignition key to the ON position and again observe the meter reading.

Any reading, movement of the meter needle, even a microvolt, would indicate that battery voltage is being applied to that Black/Yellow wire. If a reading is present, remove the other end of that Black/Yellow from the raised terminal of the ignition switch.

If the reading ceases to exist when the Black/Yellow wire is removed from the ignition switch, replace the switch. If the reading continues to exist, there would be a short of some kind in either the engine or instrument wiring harness.... to determine which, simply unplug the large RED electrical plug at the engine which would eliminate the instrument cable.

Note that the black/yellow wire must not have any other wire attached to it for the following reason!

Keep in mind that any accessory that has 12 volts running to it, especially when turned on, will have voltage flowing thru it and trailering out thru its black ground wire to complete the circuit. If that accessory has it's black ground wire attached to the "M" terminal that the black/yellow wire is attached to.... you will have voltage flowing directly to the powerpack.

(Stator "35amp" Melt Down)
(J. Reeves)

The usual characteristic or sympton pertaining to an engine that has a stator melting down is that it will have spark when cold, but will have weak or no spark when hot. Many engines will run fine at first, but after being shut down, then attempting to restart 30 minutes or so later will not start. However, after sitting and cooling down, the engine may once more start and run. Eventually the stator will fail altogether resulting in no ignition/spark even when fully cooled.

This pertains mainly to the 35amp charging stator BUT this problem has also affected other smaller ampere stators. Make a note that the stator on engines manufactured in and after 1973 are two fold components. There are a series of smaller coils which deliver AC voltage to the rectifier, the rectifier converts that voltage to DC voltage to charge the battery. There are larger coils that deliver AC voltage to the powerpack capacitor in order to energize the ignition.

The 35 ampere stator has two (2) large black coils located (usually) at the rear of the stator. This 35 amp stator runs extremely hot and even though the water cooled voltage regulator/rectifier may be in perfect working order, this type stator will in time have what is called a "Melt Down". This is when those two large black coils start to drip a sticky substance down upon the timer base and the powerhead. The result is that the outgoing AC voltage to the powerpack capacitor drops, and this in turn results in weak ignition and eventually no ignition.

The smaller ampere stators (4 cyl) may have those larger coils... One at the extreme front, the other at the extreme rear of the stator.

If a rectifier on any horsepower engine has failed (keeping it simple), this results in having the voltage back up at the stator causing the stator to overheat, which in turn causes a stator melt down.

In testing for spark, a air gap type spark tester must be used with the gap on that "Magneto Capacitance Discharge" system being set to 7/16"... the gap setting is important. All spark plugs must be removed so as to obtain the fastest cranking rpm. The rpm must be at least 300 rpm ion order for the stator to supply the appropriate AC voltage to the powerpack capacitor in order to energize the pack. You can pick up a spark tester of this adjustable type or build your own as follows:

(Spark Tester - Home Made)
(J. Reeves)

You can use a medium size philips screwdriver (#2 I believe) inserted into the spark plug boot spring connector, then hold the screwdriver shank approximately 7/16" away from the block to check the spark or build the following:

A spark tester can be made with a piece of 1x4 or 1x6, drive a few finishing nails through it, then bend the pointed ends at a right angle. You can then adjust the gap by simply twisting the nail(s). Solder a spark plug wire to one which you can connect to the spark plug boots, and a ground wire of some kind to the other to connect to the powerhead somewhere. Use small alligator clips on the other end of the wires to connect to ground and to the spark plug connector that exists inside of the rubber plug boot.

Using the above, one could easily build a spark tester whereas they could connect 2, 4, 6, or 8 cylinders all at one time. The ground nail being straight up, the others being bent, aimed at the ground nail. A typical 4 cylinder tester follows:

..........X1..........X2

.................X..(grd)

..........X3..........X4

Thousands of parts in my remaining stock. Not able to list them all. Let me know what you need and I'll look it up for you. Visit my eBay auction at:

http://shop.ebay.com/Joe_OMC32/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

Thanks Joereeves, that gives me plenty to play with. The boat isn't stored at home so I can't get to it regularly, it's a bit of a slow process.

Its cylinder 3 that has lost spark both times. If I move the power pack or swap the orange wires from the coils then the problem moves, so I know the power pack is stuffed but I need to determine why I'm killing power packs.

Last edited:
i had a 115 that killed a couple of packs, put in a new pack and ran great, first time i turned the key off and re-started got the same problem, turned out to be a short ether in the key switch or wiring harness to the the engine. this was in the Bahamas and after another new pack, the quick fix the mechanic did was in the big red plug he pushed kill wire pin back into the plug, disconnecting that circuit, had to stop engine with the choke( primer ) from then on, for years. on this forum the recommended fix is remove black/ yellow wire at the pack. and of course this is one of the suggestion in Joes thread. Daaaa, i should read posts from beginning

Last edited:
i had a 115 that killed a couple of packs, put in a new pack and ran great, first time i turned the key off and re-started got the same problem, turned out to be a short ether in the key switch or wiring harness to the the engine. this was in the Bahamas and after another new pack, the quick fix the mechanic did was in the big red plug he pushed kill wire pin back into the plug, disconnecting that circuit, had to stop engine with the choke( primer ) from then on, for years. on this forum the recommended fix is remove black/ yellow wire at the pack. and of course this is one of the suggestion in Joes thread. Daaaa, i should read posts from beginning

Removing the black/yellow wire is a test point... it is not recommended to leave that wire disconnected but rather to eliminate the failed component that caused the DC voltage flow.

I have a replacement coil and power pack on order. I keep coming back to the starter solenoid because that's the exact moment my first power pack failed. Is it possible I mixed up a couple of wires? Or could shorting it the solenoid have affected the ignition giving me the same issue that scanhoun described?

I finally got some time to play with it with a mate who's handy with a multimeter. Replaced the timer base and it's back on 4 cylinders. Now to solve the backfiring and fuel spraying out of one of the carbies...

Back