Logo

1981 50HP merc with cracked cylinder - chances of welding success?

michos

Member
Ive got an 81' 4cyl 50hp merc that I bought a few months ago. The first time I took it out it ran super slow so I brought it to a shop and the mechanic told me that it has a cracked cylinder and is basically useless (or can be used for parts) because fixing a cracked cylinder will cost way more than the value of the motor. I heard, though, that its possible to weld a cracked cylinder. I can weld aluminum with my tig and was considering trying this out to see if I can fix it myself. I could probably buy a similar motor to this one that runs well for about $800...so my question is, does anyone have experience welding cylinders and is it worth my time and effort? If I am able to successfully weld it, what are the chances that it will perform well after the fix? Any thoughts?
 
You can weld a dome but you cannot weld a cast in cylinder liner as the weld is harder than the cast iron and you wont be able to bore I toversize.
 
Plenty of blocks for those out there. Get one of those, don't try to repair it.

Jeff (the voice of painful experience in this matter
 
Back
Top