Logo

1978 Johnson 75 HP 3 Cylinder Water in crank and rust

msr64555

New member
Hey all, I have torn apart my first 2 stroke motor due to getting water in the cylinders somewhere, and I figured I would replace all the gaskets if everything looked fine internally and call it a day. It looks a bit worse than I had hoped (at least from my limited knowledge) on the inside and would like to see what ya;l think about cleaning this up if it is worth it or not. I am not looking to do a rebuild replacing everything because I know it is simply just not worth the money on these older engines and it will be much cheaper to repower than rebuild. So just looking for a bit of guidance from yall on these pics and if you think this thing is savable without replacing the crank/rods/pistons or not. Thanks in advance!
PXL_20240626_220443746-min.jpg
PXL_20240626_220450508-min.jpg
PXL_20240626_220455187-min.jpg
PXL_20240626_220502126-min.jpg
PXL_20240626_220509917-min.jpg
PXL_20240626_220526460-min.jpg
 
Those motors are well known to have water intrusion coming from leaking exhaust covers. The plate is very thin and warps from exhaust heat, and the gasket no longer seals.
3 CYLINDER EXHAUST PLATE..jpg
 
Back
Top