Logo

1971 110 Phase Maker spark issue

IkeOBH

I have a 1971 110/9.8 hp mercury that I picked up for $100. (the infamous phase maker ignition)
I suspect a bad stator but wanted to make sure before I spend $400+ on a new one.
I changed the insulator blocks which were badly cracked and I get some spark at low RPMs. However the spark is intermittent and sometimes stops entirely at higher RPMS. (I cranked with drill.)
I put an Oscilloscope on the + terminal of one of the coils and see the attached ("with points") image
It looks like something is shorting when the voltage gets to about 200V (I assume there is a Cap in the ignition that would just charge and stay high until points close)
To rule out the points I disconnected the green stator wire and hooked it up to the Scope
I then saw the attached (Open) image.
with the green wire floating I would have expected it to charge and then just hold the voltage but again something is shorting.
Any ideas?
Thanks for the help

Well I can't seem to attach the images but I will try to explain
with the points attached the voltage rises quickly to about 200 volts then jumps back down to about 50 and back up to 200.
I suspect something arcing as the voltage does not always go all the way to 0 before charging againg.
This cycles a few times before I clearly see the points close and voltage goes to 0.

When I have the Scope on the open green wire I see the voltage do a similar thin just lots more charge/discharge cycles with peaks up to about 400 volts but the average volateg probably only around 100 the 400 volts never holds more than about 10ms before discharging.

Go here and read and test..

Back