I have a 1970 Evinrude Triumph 60 hp outboard that won't run. I have compression on all 3 cylinders and they are within 10% of each other (170 psi on cylinder 1, 165 psi on cylinder 2, and 160 psi on cylinder 3). I have spark on each plug and I have fuel that is getting to the carburetors. But when I try and start the engine I don't get anything - not even a burp. The throat of the carburetors was wet with fuel when I tried starting the engine and nothing was leaking from the fuel lines/carburetors so I believe that the fuel is getting to the right place. I've also cleaned the carburetors so I know the jets aren't blocked (reinforced by the fact that the carburetor throat was wet with fuel). But the sparkplugs were dry when I checked them. At one point I was even trying to flood the engine to get the spark plugs wet with fuel to verify that fuel was making it to the cylinder but I got nothing. I've read that its highly unlikely that the leave valves are jammed so I'm ruling that out. Another thing to note is that when I was cracking over the motor the starter kept jamming and halting - like it didn't have enough power to spin the flywheel. It would do about 3 revolutions before stuttering usually. I have two ideas on what to try next:
1.) Get a bigger battery with the hopes that it makes the starter run smoothly
2.) spray fuel directly into the cylinders with a spray bottle to see if that makes the engine burp
I'm just looking for any ideas/advise for getting this thing started. It's my first go at getting an old outboard running so I don't know all the tips/tricks to get ones that have been sitting for a long time running. Some background on the engine is that it sat for 30 years but ran that last time it was put away. Some things I've already done are:
Replace the impeller
Replace the amplifier (CD ignition with breaker points)
Cleaned and set the breaker points gap (.010" gap)
Replaced high tension lead from amplifier
Replaced Low tension lead to amplifier
Cleaned carburetors/replaced gaskets
Replaced fuel line and pump
Just doesn't make sense to me why I have compression, spark, and fuel but the engine won't run. Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks.
Ben
1.) Get a bigger battery with the hopes that it makes the starter run smoothly
2.) spray fuel directly into the cylinders with a spray bottle to see if that makes the engine burp
I'm just looking for any ideas/advise for getting this thing started. It's my first go at getting an old outboard running so I don't know all the tips/tricks to get ones that have been sitting for a long time running. Some background on the engine is that it sat for 30 years but ran that last time it was put away. Some things I've already done are:
Replace the impeller
Replace the amplifier (CD ignition with breaker points)
Cleaned and set the breaker points gap (.010" gap)
Replaced high tension lead from amplifier
Replaced Low tension lead to amplifier
Cleaned carburetors/replaced gaskets
Replaced fuel line and pump
Just doesn't make sense to me why I have compression, spark, and fuel but the engine won't run. Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks.
Ben

