Logo

1962-63 Uniflite 34Footer Waterpump Suicidal

Mattyb34

Member
Hi all,
I am BRAND NEW to all of this so I apologize up front.
I just bought a 1962-63 Uniflite 34 Cruiser.
2 inboard engines supposedly Ford 351.
I say supposedly because the engine may have been rebuilt over the years.

Both engines start and seem to run good but they both need a new water pump. The green engine needs full assembly (see pics)
I have searched and search and cannot find online. I have reached out to mechanic friends and they are stumped.

I would be forever grateful if there is someone who can provide any direction or even outside the box solution. I have heard an electric water pump may be a good solution?

At this point I feel like I was scammed and need a whole new engine due to the issues with age for this part.

Please help if able and thank you so much for reading
 
you may have to resize the photos...the board has a size limit. Until you cross that bridge, more details in your description can only help...

what exactly (parts-wise) do you think the engines need...and why? any identification tags/labels? Inboard installations? traditional counter rotating engines?

If you didn't have a marine surveyor involved, probably best to consider this a life lesson and then either dive in (fix the issues and use the boat) or sell it.
 
There are two water pumps. One is the engine circulation pump and the other is the seawater pump. The circulation pump only moves the cooling water around inside the engine and has no power to pull water in from outside. The seawater pump pulls water up into the engine and then out through the exhaust.
The seawater pump is usually mounted on the side of the engine and driven by a v belt. The circulation pump is bolted to the front cover of the engine.
 
As Mako said…resize to under 1Mb. It cab done from your post
Click ATTACH FILES
You will be asked if you want to select a file, or take a photo.
Select the photo from your phone/computer
Notice the tab at the bottom of the window that opened…where it says OPTIONS
Select OPTIONS, that will give choices of FULL SIZE, LARGE, MED, SMALL.
As you try each choice, it will show what it has reduced the file size to. When less than 1Mb, select ADD
 
There are two water pumps. One is the engine circulation pump and the other is the seawater pump. The circulation pump only moves the cooling water around inside the engine and has no power to pull water in from outside. The seawater pump pulls water up into the engine and then out through the exhaust.
The seawater pump is usually mounted on the side of the engine and driven by a v belt. The circulation pump is bolted to the front cover of the engine.
Thanks so much. This is bolted to the front on a plate. Gosh I wish I could post these pictures!!
 
As Mako said…resize to under 1Mb. It cab done from your post
Click ATTACH FILES
You will be asked if you want to select a file, or take a photo.
Select the photo from your phone/computer
Notice the tab at the bottom of the window that opened…where it says OPTIONS
Select OPTIONS, that will give choices of FULL SIZE, LARGE, MED, SMALL.
As you try each choice, it will show what it has reduced the file size to. When less than 1Mb, select ADD
Will do and thank you
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0223.jpeg
    IMG_0223.jpeg
    26.8 KB · Views: 44
There are two water pumps. One is the engine circulation pump and the other is the seawater pump. The circulation pump only moves the cooling water around inside the engine and has no power to pull water in from outside. The seawater pump pulls water up into the engine and then out through the exhaust.
The seawater pump is usually mounted on the side of the engine and driven by a v belt. The circulation pump is bolted to the front cover of the engine.
Here is the front of blue engine
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0225.png
    IMG_0225.png
    234.2 KB · Views: 36

Attachments

  • IMG_0228.jpeg
    IMG_0228.jpeg
    27.4 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0226.jpeg
    IMG_0226.jpeg
    24.5 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0224.jpeg
    IMG_0224.jpeg
    17.4 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_0223.jpeg
    IMG_0223.jpeg
    26.8 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_0225.png
    IMG_0225.png
    234.2 KB · Views: 39
O
Thanks. I am going to work on getting those pics posted. I really appreciate the responses
here are pics of both engines
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0228.jpeg
    IMG_0228.jpeg
    27.4 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_0226.jpeg
    IMG_0226.jpeg
    24.5 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0225.png
    IMG_0225.png
    234.2 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0224.jpeg
    IMG_0224.jpeg
    17.4 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0223.jpeg
    IMG_0223.jpeg
    26.8 KB · Views: 40
you may have to resize the photos...the board has a size limit. Until you cross that bridge, more details in your description can only help...

what exactly (parts-wise) do you think the engines need...and why? any identification tags/labels? Inboard installations? traditional counter rotating engines?

If you didn't have a marine surveyor involved, probably best to consider this a life lesson and then either dive in (fix the issues and use the boat) or sell it.
Thank you.
The water pump is missing from the green engine and figured might as well replace blue one while I’m at it.
I have resized and posted pics
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0223.jpeg
    IMG_0223.jpeg
    26.8 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_0225.png
    IMG_0225.png
    234.2 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0226.jpeg
    IMG_0226.jpeg
    24.5 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0229.jpeg
    IMG_0229.jpeg
    28.6 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0228.jpeg
    IMG_0228.jpeg
    27.4 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0224.jpeg
    IMG_0224.jpeg
    17.4 KB · Views: 42
Those are indeed Ford Y-block engines. Probably 312 cubic inches. The funny thing is that the crankshaft pulley is equipped with a drive plate so that a transmission could be fitted. I guess these were used in a lot of different boats of the time and could be run in either direction. Anyway, you need to source new seawater pumps. Those are probably obsolete as heck and getting any parts are likely a long goose chase. I see some on eBay, but I'd just get new. Good seawater pumps are expensive, so shop carefully and ask us if you have any doubts.
The water pump for the engine is a stock item you can get from any auto parts store. I wouldn't worry about getting a "marine" version, just plan on replacing every 5 years along with your exhaust manifolds and elbows since it'll have a cast iron vane.
Yeh there are still plenty of boats out there with these engines. Lots of cars and trucks had them. If you search for Ford y-block 312 you'll be able to get lots of info and support even tho it may be for the car/truck flavor ones.
I would run straight SAE 30 heavy duty oil in there. New cap rotor points capacitor wires plugs. Check timing and flush out the fuel system.
These are very robust and long running engines used in many applications. Shouldn't give you any real trouble unless the PO just ignored the maintenance.
 
Thank you SO mich. Yes, finding the sea pump is what is driving me crazy!!
The thought of using an electric pump has come up. Have you heard of that? It makes sense that it would just be used to suck the lake water to the engine.
20 to 25gpm seems to be what a mechanic is saying?

Anyway thank you again for your time
 
You may find this data helpful....I snagged it from a recent post on another boating site...

Jim builds marine Y Blocks
Call Jim Harris in South Portland ME. 207-252-0996. He has a lot of Interceptor parts
Or try 207-767-2569 as an alternate number


Never dealt with him but have seen his name pop up over the years...he is supposed to be very fluent in marine Y-blocks and where to get parts/service/etc done...
 
Back
Top