Logo

‘94 125hp no fire

Seanfish

Had this to a mechanic due to not running over 3800-4000, weak spark, replaced stator.

Dropped boat and couldn’t get over 2400rpm.

Long time reputable mechanic…made what I believe to be a simple mistake and left the ground loose on coils 3&4. Can a bad/loose ground smoke a coil??? Odds of it happening to 2 simultaneously?

Tightened back up and determined I have no spark on them. Haven’t actually checked spark but the brand new plugs are still brand new. Never been fired. 1&2 are fine. Will swap coils to known good cylinders to determine if coils are now trash.

From there if 3/4 still have no spark I am looking to make sure it’s all wired correctly then to the stator and finally switch box….is that correct?

Separate issue…for some reason, my primer/enrichener got disconnected. Where does this get reconnected at?

update - eliminated coils by swapping 3 & 4 with 1 & 2.
Coils fire fine and cylinders 3 & 4 remain without spark

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but the problem should now be confined to switch box and/or the new stator.

ignore issue with primer/enricher.

Post serial as those could be CDM modules
Serial number decal is gone, and I'm not sure where the plug is that would have it. It's a stator & switch box setup as seen here:

Stator is a brand new CDI unit.
Trigger ohms at 780 on both sets, just under spec.

Switch box is done. New one is should be here in a few days.

Back