Logo

Will not turn over

Thank you very much i am going

Thank you very much i am going to give her ago this weekend i'll let ya know if i had any luck.

"Well My buddy Took my coil an

"Well My buddy Took my coil and put it on his boat and it started right up so i can scratch that off the list.I deceided today i was going to check the spark plug wire placement.The guy i bought it from must not have known his stuff because every wire is in the wrong spot on the distributer.I guess that couls also be the reason it wont start.From the engine this is what he has from the engine on 2,1 and 4,3 the two and the four is closest to the engine.The right order is 1,3 and 2,4 1 and 2 are closest to the engine correct."

Well i am totally confused now

Well i am totally confused now the distributer is turned half a turn clockwise and if i look at the plug wires that way they are correct.So i went to check my buddys boat he has already had his running this year and his wires and dist are the same as mine is so maybe i shouldnt move the plug wires because if i compare from his boat they are right.He has the same engine as me just 1 yr newer.One of the screws for the cap is facing the engine and the other is facing the side of the boat.

"Michael
The only way you can

"Michael
The only way you can check your wire placement and firing order is to:
1 Open the Dist Cap so you can see the rotor
2 Turn the engine over by starter to determine what rotation your rotor goes in, ei clockwise or counter clockwise
3 Turn the engine over until you have compression on cylinder No. 1 and then gently line up the timing mark to TDC on the pulley.
4 Once you are on TDC (firing Position) locate your rotor tip and determine which post the tip points to when the cap is re installed, that will be your No. 1 wire.
5 Once that is determined place the wires for the rest of the cylinders in the rotational order your determined by turning the engine over.
6 The firing order is 1342. so the wires will go onto the cap in that rotational order.
Good Luck
Bert"

"Well for starters i want to t

"Well for starters i want to thank every body for their help.I changed the cap,rotor points and condenser had the points set after about 15 minutes of fine tunning she fired up and sounded nice ran it for about 15 minutes and than shut her down and their was no water in the oil so I think i am good temerature gauge stayed where it should be to so i think she has been brought back to life.I do need to change the fuel filter and fill it up and run a can of sea foam through it and she will be ready to rock and roll.Filter was pretty bad."

I have one more question the f

I have one more question the fuel pump filter # i found on this site is 18-7860 does that sound right for a 1985 140hp.And i was also wondering i am going to check my exhaust baffle.When i take of the rubber bellow can i change it that way or do i need to take off the elbow.And when i take of that rubber boot do i need to put any kind of sealant around it and if so what type do i use.

Well i have another question i

Well i have another question it takes about 2 minutes to get my boat started havent actually gotten it out on the water put a can of seafoam in it.But once you actually get it running for a couple minutes you can shut it off and it will start right back up and run fine when you shut it off any ideas.I took the fuel pump of and disconnected the output hose and gave it a few pumps and the fuel shot out of it so the pump is good it has a new filter and the filter in the carb is good to.I have only ran it on muffs wondering if it just needs a good day on the water to clean the system out what do ya think or and ideas?

michael knapp
Are you giving

michael knapp
Are you giving the throttle a pump or two before trying a cold start?
Bert

the throttle control in the ha

the throttle control in the handle os broken gonna need a new handle but funds are kind of limited right now.So what i have been doing is putting the handle in forward gear and back to neutral a few times to pump it but it doesnt work real well if I take the flame arrester of and mess with the butterfly in the carb she will start up is there a easier way with out having to take the flame arrester off or is there some other kind of problem causing it.

"michael knapp
If it works f

"michael knapp
If it works fine when you play with the choke plate then the choke is probably your problem. Check through the board and find a choke problem issue. There are several that will explain how to set the choke,
Bert"

"ok i will thanks<[img]"http:/

"ok i will thanks
happy.gif
"

well i was operating the throt

well i was operating the throttle wrong the handle pulls out and then forward for warm up did that fired right over thanks for the help aboatin i will go this weekend.

well just a update i took the

well just a update i took the boat out a couple weeks ago and she ran fine at idle the temp ran at 145 but as we increased the gas the temp went to 165 so we brought it back in and checked the dipstick for milky oil i have checked it three times and the oil was not milky any of those 3 times so i think the water in the oil was a fluke

so i took it in to a boat mech

so i took it in to a boat mech to get a full reseal and a new lower water pump.so we will see if that takes care of the problem.im crossing my fingers!!!

165 IS FINE WHEN THE TEMP GETS

165 IS FINE WHEN THE TEMP GETS AROUND OR OVER 200 THAT IS WHEN THERE IS A PROBLEM.

Well the mech found out that w

Well the mech found out that who ever put the last water pump in somehow or another installed it backwards or wrong.So i guess it was a good thing i took it in he said it would have blown the engine otherwise now he is waiting on parts so hopefully it will be done by this weekend.

Back