Logo

Will not turn over

I just want to tell everybody

I just want to tell everybody thank you very much for all the help everybody is giving me i really appreciate it.You all must love boating as much as i do and i think you all need a medal for all the help you give all of us novice boaters.

"i agree, lending so much good

"i agree, lending so much good advice, and spending much time doing so, with no real return on the investment is truly a good deed. much appreciation to all..."

michael those plugs if im unde

michael those plugs if im understanding you right need to have a good ground and if you have rust where the metel meets metal then your not gettin your proper ground so whith that said it doesnt mean the plugs are junk just clean the surfaces . (wire brush em) just for needed info take a plug out hook the wire up to it ground it somewhere on the motor and have someone crank the engine and see what kind and color spark you are gettin

well i pulled the plugs out th

well i pulled the plugs out they where ac delco r44t.So when i went to replace them the parts place game me the same thing since i have not been able to get this boat running since i bought it will these spark plugs work all of my reading up says ngk or champion is this just a off brand i hope they are ok since they where what was in the boat before.

"Michael
Nothing wrong with D

"Michael
Nothing wrong with Delco, they're GM plugs, some of the best on the market.
Bert"

"That plug is what is used for

"That plug is what is used for that engine.

Describe the color of each of the plug electrodes that you removed. I.e., tan, brown, white, black, oily, etc."

The choke is set too rich or n

The choke is set too rich or not opening all the way. Make sure you check the choke operation. Spray WD40 on all the carb linkages and on the pivot points of the choke shaft in the carb throat. Make sure the choke has 12 vdc to it and that the choke gets warm to touch as the engine idles. Let us know what you find.

well the plugs i bought are r4

well the plugs i bought are r44t and after some checking in the service manual the ac delco mfg number plugs should be mr43t so i think i am going to return the plugs havent taken them out of there boxes yet looks like the last owner had the wrong plugs in.What do ya think should i exchange?

Yes. Per SELOC Marine manual

Yes. Per SELOC Marine manual CR44N was used on early models but MR43T is the plug most models used. Gap is 0.035".

Do you think it is worth going

Do you think it is worth going that route?I am sorry i havent posted more on my progress on the boat it has either been raining or snowing here in wisconsin and for at least the next week and a half there is still upper 20's and low 30's for lows at night.I love spring!

I will keep that in mind.My ne

I will keep that in mind.My next question is I switched my ignition switch because it was faulty when i turn it so start it will not turn over when i jump the slave selenoid it turns over and when i jump the starter seloid it turns over to so how do i test each with a meter.The starter selenoid is very rusty so i am assuming it is that one but i want to be sure.

You've wired the switch wr

You've wired the switch wrong. The yellow/red stripe wire on the the slave solenoid should get 12 volts from thw switch in the START position.

Yep that is how it is wired.Th

Yep that is how it is wired.The red is to the battery and the b on the switch the yellow is to the selenoid and the s on the switch.

""the yellow is to the sel

""the yellow is to the selenoid and the s on the switch"

With the shifter in NEUTRAL, and you don't get 12 volts at the slave solenoid when you turn the key to start, then the neutral safety switch may be defective."

"Well i am a idiot, the reason

"Well i am a idiot, the reason it would not turn over is because i thought it was in nuetral but it was not.Well now when it turns over the spark from the coil wire is very small to the point you have to squint to see it.I tried my buddies coil and it did the same thing but we where messing with his coil last week and hooked something up wrong and had smoke coming out of the top of his coil."

Oh yeah i forgot did a compres

Oh yeah i forgot did a compression test on all 4 cylinders and they where between 135 and 145

"To a answer to you early ques

"To a answer to you early question the spark was a dull yellow and not a very big spark,So is that where i should start I opened up the dist cap and there is power to the points and they spark when you move them.,And my other question is am i posting to much i see i am up to 52 posts by my ?."

"Well i called the part store

"Well i called the part store i get most of my boat and car parts from.They also get all there boat parts from sierra.I called them to get a price check on the coil and i gave him the part number he said that i can get the same one in a automotive brand for half the price is there any problem with doing something like that,And i was also wondering after i change the coil if it still needs points are they already pre-set with the gap they need?"

"Sounds like you shop at NAPA,

"Sounds like you shop at NAPA, they sell Sierra Parts, as Guy said you set the points gap when you install.. do your self and family a favor, get a Pertonics Electronic Ignition set."

"yeah if i need them that is w

"yeah if i need them that is what i figured i am not going to waiste my time setting points,can i get a auto coil wire or should that be marine to."

"You want a heavy duty coil wi

"You want a heavy duty coil wire, not some cheapy or you'll need two; one for a spare. I carry two spares; one for me and one for a stranded boater.

The boat engine coil is throwing out more spark over a short time than an automobile coil. Get a good wire."

"Well i deceided i am going t

"Well i deceided i am going to put in new cap, rotor,condenser, and points.Before i get the coil i was going to get the conversion kit but cant afford it right now.My question is the points gap in the service manual i got of here is .022(.5)Is this correct."

Back