Logo

Trim tilt issue

Derek Wells

Just put a 1999 ocean pro 130hp on my whaler. It has sat for 10 years but has under 20 hours on it.

The tilt motor runs but will not lift the engine up. You can move it by hand regardless of whether the release is tight or not.

I tried replacing the release valve screw. It did not help so i put the old one back in.

People are telling me its the relay but if it was, wouldnt the motor not run?

Have the engine at a full tilt up position, lock it there, fill the PTT with fluid. Run the unit up and down, manually if need be. Refill the unit and repeat this procedure if necessary. The unit is self bleeding.

Be sure to have the fill screw/plug installed and the manual release valve snug before testing the unit.

Let us know what you find.

Have the engine at a full tilt up position, lock it there, fill the PTT with fluid. Run the unit up and down, manually if need be. Refill the unit and repeat this procedure if necessary. The unit is self bleeding.

Be sure to have the fill screw/plug installed and the manual release valve snug before testing the unit.

Let us know what you find.

Not sure what the outcome was here. I have a similar issue. Trim motor runs up and down, but engine only moves down. Tried manual assist, but cannot push the motor up. Only way to get it up is bypassing the hydraulics. Tried several bypass up / trim down cycles with no improvement. Seems the fluid on top of the piston is not released when the motor runs upward. Any thoughts? 1989 Mercury 80 HP.

Back