Logo

Rusty bolt heads

metal-chicken

Regular Contributor
I'm sure my 225 isn't the only one with a number of rusted bolt heads!
It looks rubbish and is a little disappointing given the cost of the engines but at least it seems to be limited to the bolts holding brackets on, etc.

Is there any reason why I cannot buy a bunch of stainless M6 flange bolts (20mm and 30mm seem to be the commonest lengths) and swap them out before the heads are too far gone?
[I won't be touching any important bolts!)

Last edited:
This is what I'm talking about...
al57jd.jpg

Agree that SS substitutes are fine EXCEPT for any high torque bolts. Off-the-shelf SS is normally too soft for high torque applications. For that you need a higher grade SS that contains a higher level of steel alloy and carbon..

Cleaning and painting them seems like a pain and will ultimately fail - I'd much rather spend $10 and fit new bolts. I certainly won't be touching anything with high torque ... they all seem to fine anyway so are probably higher quality.

Stainless will be fine.----------High torque on bolts also needs very strong threads in the nut or part that the bolt goes into.-------------Torque on outboards is limited by the aluminum casting parts.

You might also want to check to see if there's some reason those bolt heads rusted. In my case, the factory flush-out fitting was backflowing slightly.

Back