Logo

Repainting Honda Cowling

chawk_man

Silver Medal Contributor
Found someone who can repaint my 225 cowling. Looked at examples of his work and it looks great. I have three questions:

1. Does anyone have the color code for the Honda oyster silver paint?

2. My 225 is a 2007 model. The last person who did the totally unsatisfactory paint job used the decals from an earlier model. Does anyone have the code for the 2007 decals, or can send a picture of what the 2007 decals should look like?

3. I plan to have the painter clear coat the repainted cowling. Is it best to apply the clear coat before the decals are applied, or after they are applied?

Thanks for any help.

Bill,

This is the only info that I have. It is taken from an Accessory Catalog a couple of years ago. I hope it is of some help.

Mike

Attachments

• Honda Paint.pdf
    371.6 KB · Views: 1,374
Thanks Mike. I'll take that info to the folks who will do the painting and see if that is sufficient. Will let you know.

If you use a quality clear coat with UV inhibitor over the decals they won't fade and the paint job will probably last the life of the motor. I'm sure someone who paints cowlings knows best, but in conversation see if he uses a flex agent like you would on a automobile bumper. Otherwise you'll get early spider webbing as the paint cracks when the cowling flexes underway and when you handle it.

Yamaham - great advice. I'll convey all of that to the fellow doing the work. Thanks.

When I had my BF90, i found some generic "Honda silver" spray paint at the marine store, (3 lanterns, gloucester) it goes on real thin, took for coats to build up the surface, but came out looking perfect. Just make sure you do the prep work, and it will look great.

That is the same stuff the was used three years ago and it did not hold up. I believe that I need to use a urethane-based paint, then a heavy clear coat over it.

Just for info the oyster silver paint code is NH-282-M I too am in the process of doing touch up work. So far everything is looking fantastic.

I was told by the honda dealer that I get my parts from that honda does not give out the codes, and you had to get paint direct from Honda.
I had mine matched and mixed here in Nassau and it was a perfect match. i was also advised that the primer was critical to a good/longlasting paint job.
I put my decals on after the clear coat, that way should one get damaged, it could be changed.

hope that was some help!

Thanks for the advice, especially about the decals. I probably won't get to this for a while. I plan to have a local body shop to the work and let them contend with the paint codes and Honda.

Back