Logo

Remote oil kit installation instruction VolvoPenta/Cobra 1998

klein2000

8F2C23D1-6B6E-4D6C-A76D-27CD0C166EA9.jpeg
I have attached the schematic and parts to install a remote oil change kit for a 5.7L VolvoPenta/OMC Cobra motor. Would anyone know if install instructions are available or published? I see that the remote adapter bolts to the exhaust riser. Should longer bolts be used as the adapter adds about ½” thickness to the height. Also, would someone know where does the hose bracket (part6) attach to the engine. The adapter retainer (part 4) shows one “O” ring (part3) on the top of the retainer. The retainer has a groove close to the hex portion that looks like an o ring fits in the groove to seal the adapter retainer- does the o ring fit here or at the top. Also should there be any sealer placed on the adapter retainer or other areas.

I’ve seen some comments that the hoses can leak over time. I did find new old stock original Volvo hoses but am wondering if I should just get braided aircraft hydraulic hoses made up and use those. The engine is installed in a deep area and the hose replacement would be pretty awkward to redo. Amy advice/help would be most appreciated.

thank you all

rmk

I have attached the schematic and parts to install a remote oil change kit for a 5.7L VolvoPenta/OMC Cobra Engine.
Actually, that is a remote oil filter kit.

While doing this, I would suggest that you also install a remote oil drain hose kit.

FYI.... by 1998, this would be all Volvo Penta. Most likely an SX drive.

Would anyone know if install instructions are available or published?
You should be able to find instructions.
The most important aspect will be the porting and oil flow direction.
The oil leaving the original filter location must first feed the exterior of the remotely located filter cartridge.
In other words, the oil is to enter the outside of the filter media, and then return to the engine's oiling system from within the inside of the filter media.
This is extremely important!

I see that the remote adapter bolts to the exhaust riser.
The remote filter base should attach to the exhaust "Elbow".
(Spacers/Risers do not typically offer any threaded holes)

Should longer bolts be used as the adapter adds about ½” thickness to the height.
I would say yes.
Make sure that your new bolts do not bottom out prior to fully clamping the adapter.

Also, would someone know where does the hose bracket (part6) attach to the engine. The adapter retainer (part 4) shows one “O” ring (part3) on the top of the retainer. The retainer has a groove close to the hex portion that looks like an o ring fits in the groove to seal the adapter retainer- does the o ring fit here or at the top. Also should there be any sealer placed on the adapter retainer or other areas.
Most O-rings or quad-rings are intended to be installed dry or oiled.

I’ve seen some comments that the hoses can leak over time. I did find new old stock original Volvo hoses but am wondering if I should just get braided aircraft hydraulic hoses made up and use those.
If the hoses have been included in the kit, they should be OK.
From what I can see, the hose fittings are O-ring sealed, and are not Tapered Pipe Threads.

View attachment 25515

Thanks for the quick reply. Lots of helpful info in your reply. Still can’t find installation instruction on line but I’ll keep searching.

interestingly, the engine is 1998 in a 1999 Chris craft 210 from what I can tell by the ID plate. The engine plate shows that it’s the last year Volvo have the motor built by omc. I think Volvo bought OMC the following year 1999 and started rebranding in 1999. At least that’s what someone explained to me. Here’s a photo of the engine ID. I had trouble finding parts till I looked up the serial number on the omc sites.

Now, I just have to figure out the remote oil drain kit... and instal this remote oil filter kit without leaks.

024C8D67-197C-4AB7-B55A-36627739DE64.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick reply. Lots of helpful info in your reply. Still can’t find installation instruction on line but I’ll keep searching.

interestingly, the engine is 1998 in a 1999 Chris craft 210 from what I can tell by the ID plate. The engine plate shows that it’s the last year Volvo have the motor built by omc.
Neither OMC nor Volvo Penta built the engines.
They were built to Marine specs by either Ford or GM.

I think Volvo bought OMC the following year 1999 and started rebranding in 1999. At least that’s what someone explained to me.
By the end of 1993, OMC would have been in the final stages of chapter 11.
Volvo Penta bought the company and was operating as Volvo Penta in 1994.
As I understand it, there were quite a few OMC parts left over. Volvo Penta used certain parts as to deplete the stock.
The Cobra Dog Clutch drive itself was not used in lieu of the cone clutch SX and the DP-S.

Here’s a photo of the engine ID. I had trouble finding parts till I looked up the serial number on the omc sites.
Model number 572BPBYC does not come up as Volvo Penta, so I'm not sure what happened there.

Now, I just have to figure out the remote oil drain kit...

Here are some options:

remote oil drain hose kit.jpg

I prefer the style that uses the banjo bolt fitting at the oil pan drain plug port.

Examples ONLY

images
images

With the banjo bolt style, the hose can be rotated and positioned to suit you.

With the conventional style, the threads determine the hose's position.
Your call on that!

and install this remote oil filter kit without leaks.

View attachment 25522

Last edited:
That number is an OMC model number. During the joint venture Volvo made both VP engines and OMC engines that were identical but branded with either the OMC Cobra name (with an OMC model #) or the VP SX Cobra name (with a VP model number). Confusing isn't it? You can see on the ID plate it says OMC Cobra manufactured by Volvo Penta Marine Products, LP (Limited Partnership). Lexington KY was the original factory that OMC built to build the Cobras. Volvo bought into the OMC sterndrive division and eventually bought out the whole thing. I think they wanted OMC's transom mount design (and their factory) since it was the standard Merc cut out and the factory so they could build drives here thus saving money. So the transom mount is very similar to the original Cobra design, even the D/S bellows were the same part number same part, but the pivot housing and other parts were different. That's why its is a relatively easy swap to replace a dog clutch Cobra with a Volvo SX.
PS OMC declared chapter 11 in 2000, they had sold off the sterndrive division to Volvo by '98 but were still building outboards till 99/00. A sad tale of mismanagement of a formerly good company. BRP bought the assets in 200/2001 (outboard production and all the left over OMC sterndrive parts) and reworked the Ficht to the Etec, but just discontinued them in May of this year.

Last edited:
Looks like we're getting way off track here.

That number is an OMC model number. During the joint venture Volvo made both VP engines and OMC engines that were identical but branded with either the OMC Cobra name (with an OMC model #) or the VP SX Cobra name (with a VP model number).
Volvo Penta does not manufacture inboard engines. The marinized engines are supplied by either GM or Ford.

I think they wanted OMC's transom mount design (and their factory) since it was the standard Merc cut out and the factory so they could build drives here thus saving money.
Going to a Gimbal Suspension system did allow VP to capture a greater share of the market.
And yes, the transom cut-out is very similar to that of the Merc A drive.
Boat builders could now make one transom cut-out, and either stern drive could be used.

In my opinion, moving from the main suspension fork/pivot tube geometry to a Gimbal system was a step backwards.

So the transom mount is very similar to the original Cobra design, even the D/S bellows were the same part number same part, but the pivot housing and other parts were different. That's why its is a relatively easy swap to replace a dog clutch Cobra with a Volvo SX.
For any OMC Cobra prior to 1994, yes.

PS OMC declared chapter 11 in 2000,
OMC filed bankruptcy in 12-22- 2000.
It has been my understanding that prior to that, they had file for chapter 11 status.

I digress..... we should probably stay on topic regarding the remote oil filter kit.

Back