Logo

Model number

GENEREED

The model # on my 79 150hp evinrude reads: 150949c. I cannot find answer to my question- What does the ‘c’ stand for or maybe, to be sure, 49c?
150hp 1979=150 9. C is main question.
Serial# jooo 3439 wasn’t needed to order my shift rod. Thanks, Gene

I would just install a new factory diaphragm in those 2 excellent / reliable / easy to repair pumps.----What is your motor doing / not doing?----For future reference post the actual compression values.-----Are you aware of the history of broken piston rings on these motors??

I would just install a new factory diaphragm in those 2 excellent / reliable / easy to repair pumps.----What is your motor doing / not doing?----For future reference post the actual compression values.-----Are you aware of the history of broken piston rings on these motors??
Racerone, I tried to send you another message (or thread) but you apparently didn’t get it seeing I had to re-register to be allowed on the site. So: I am aware of the ring problem and was going to inquire how to tell if it was remedied. But first all spark plugs looked good. I tested all 6cyl for compression and they were all close to same around 100. I am going to recheck soon. We are facing a winter storm here in Minnesota. The motor first bogged at high throttle-I installed a new gas filter, it was badly plugged, nor more bogging. Blew my hat off and went noticeably faster than my 90hp. But it’s is real hard starting. I think it’s the fuel pumps. Ie will put kits in soon as I can. I am hoping that it was overhauled or a least the high ring problem solved so I don’t have to. It’s a 79 ranger 18ft. I paid 1200 cash for boat and motor. The young guy I bought it from had started a rewrite by just cutting all sites out and then of course couldn’t put it back together against. It was used little for 20 years. Sat in a warmed garage the most of its life time. I will do all work myself. Thankful for any advice I can get. Gene

There was a TSB issued and if engine was repaired at dealer with low ring pistons there was a letter (dont remember which one) stamped next to welch plug.

Fuel pumps have nothing to do with " hard starting " on a 1979 powerhead.
I am glad to hear that. There was gas there because the choke caused visable gas to run down choke plate. Could it be because of igniter plugs? Once it ran it restarted good and ran good through wot. I have a manual but it’s trapped in my laptop as I broke screen by closing on earplugs. My daughter is coming from Tucson in April to get it for me on a new unit. Thanks

For hard starting I would ----Charge the battery.-----Load test the battery.----Take starter apart for inspection ( new brushes ? ) and ohm check on armature.----No money spent to do these simple things.----Reason being that slow or marginal cranking speed means there is weak spark !

For hard starting I would ----Charge the battery.-----Load test the battery.----Take starter apart for inspection ( new brushes ? ) and ohm check on armature.----No money spent to do these simple things.----Reason being that slow or marginal cranking speed means there is weak spark !
I will double check those things. All seemed to be good there last fall.

I will check compression again at a later time. We are looking at major snowstorm this weekend. I will get back to you. Thanks for your comments. Gene

There was a TSB issued and if engine was repaired at dealer with low ring pistons there was a letter (dont remember which one) stamped next to welch plug.
Here is the stamp. Can you interpret it?

There is a stamp near the plug. Looks more like an emblem and not a number or letter. Or looked like a 3 or E inside a D. I tried to send pic but wouldn’t go. But stamp is there. So that would mean compressions would be around 125 in each cyl??

There is a stamp near the plug. Looks more like an emblem and not a number or letter. Or looked like a 3 or E inside a D. I tried to send pic but wouldn’t go. But stamp is there. So that would mean compressions would be around 125 in each cyl??
Ignore that last sentence for now!

All I can say right now is there is a stamp near that Welch plug. I can not be 100% sure what it represents. I want to be confident. But It sure ran good at wot. I have two 90hp rudes-another 1979, and an 83. I will look for stamp on them. My research continues. Any knowledge from you or anyone else I appreciate. Gene

Attachments

• IMG_0046.jpeg
    IMG_0046.jpeg
    295.5 KB · Views: 2
Back