Logo

Honda 225 Oxygen Sensor Heater

I hope that's got it for you. I'm surprised at that amp reading for the O2 but I'm putting it in my notes if you have no more problems.

One thing I hope you get back to us with is the O2 sensor volts. It should be "sweeping" between 0.100 to 0.900 and back again continuously at around 2500 rpm.

Thanks for keeping us informed.

Looking through my notes.....the ACG lamp PID will say ON when the alternator is properly charging...so yours is normal.

The EOP LOW will say ON if the oil pressure is within the normal range at low rpms....yours is normal

The EOP HIGH will say ON if the oil pressure is within normal range when the rpms are above 3000. At lower speeds it will be OFF. Since the screen shot was taken at idle, yours is normal.

The H2O2 Control PID:
This PID is as chawk _man first suggested. It simply indicates whether or not the O2 heater is being powered. The heater receives power until the sensor reaches the prescribed temperature. Once it is hot enough, the ECM shuts off current to the heater and the PID will change from ON to OFF. So, again, your screen shot looks normal for a warmed up engine.

HO2S CURrent is listed as 0-2.000A

The voltage produced by the sensor listed as HO2S is 0-1V. Ideally it constantly ranges from 0.2V to 0.9V This makes the 3.78V reading for that PID suspect and could indicate an internally shorted sensor or a short to power in the sensor wiring.

Sorry for doing this so piecemeal but my memory isn't as good as it used to be.
Hello,
Thank you for these posts about diagnostic results, they are very teaching and usefull to understand my own data. I'm using Heal Tech on a Honda BF225 from 2006.
Would you know if having the "Heated Oxygen Sensor Control" going on and off repeatedly, every 1 to 5 secs, is normal?
Cheers

Hi,
I don't remember the post you reference but I suppose it doesn't really matter. But, wow! At least it sounds as if I knew what was up!

Anyway, to your question. I don't know. I don't know anything about the Heal Tech tool or how or what it's sampling. Without some context there I can give you a BIG, FAT GUESS though.

I'm guessing you are sampling the frequency of the switching taking place in the O2.
What I don't know is at what temperature or what rpm.

While 1 second switching (1Hz) is typically "ok" in a general sense, 5 seconds is way out of bounds.

BUT...if you're sampling the O2 at idle, that might actually be a "normal look" because of a lack of heat due to low fuel flow. The O2 doesn't work well unless it's very hot.

The O2 should be switching consistently at around 1 second or so on a fully warmed up engine with a "decent" tune at 2500 rpm. Anything over 2 seconds might be reason to condemn the sensor.

Hope this helps you.

Thank you very much for your fast and complete reply, much appreciated. I think you guessed right, I am watching over the control of the heated oxygen sensor, while runnig the engine @idle and at 2 000 rpm for 5 minutes. One of the features overwatched by Heal Tech is the "Heated Oxygen Sensor Control" turning 'on' and 'off'. I like your explanation, which sounds logical to me.
I'll check this while navigating to see how it goes with a fully heated sensor and I'll dig a bit more on the subject.
This helped for sure!
Thank you.

Well, the one thing about their description I don't fully understand is the "on and off"....because that's not accurate in relation to an O2 sensor "working" except maybe for the heater circuit which should not need to be toggled on and off after warm up.

The universally accepted term would be switching. Meaning switching from 0.1volt to 0.9 volts. On a graph it would look like a distorted sine wave.

But I guess nuances get lost when translating from one language to another.

Good luck.

Back