Logo

Evinrude tilt/trim

kboomisme

Contributing Member
I just replaced the seal and o rings on my tilt cylinder. I put it back together and filled it and ran it up and down, but it needed more fluid. I filled the fluid again and now it wont move either up or down. What have I done???? Thanks in advance

The relief valve is closed. The motor runs fine. The unit is off and in the vice on the bench. I took the top cap off the tilt and then slowly pushed it down in. Weird thing is when i put the wires to the battery, no matter which way(green+,blue-) or (blue+,green-) it still rises up. When it gets to the top it sounds like the sound changes one way but if I reverse the wires, the sound its more of a higher pitch.

I just pulled out the release valve and the outer o ring is toast. Maybe that's the problem? Can I get replacement o rings or do I have to buy the whole piece?

That didn't work. Just put new o rings on the release valve. still no go. I push the tilt cylinder down, and it goes up but wont come down. Grrrrr

Weird thing is when i put the wires to the battery, no matter which way(green+,blue-) or (blue+,green-) it still rises up. When it gets to the top it sounds like the sound changes one way but if I reverse the wires, the sound its more of a higher pitch.
Shouldnt you ground the bracket to the negative and put either the blue or green to the positive for up or down?

Okay. Blue to + green to - = UP (Sky blue.)

Green to + blue to - = DOWN (Grass green.)

No external ground is necessary.

When I release the valve and push the tilt piston down, it goes up normal when I put the blue on + and green on - but if I switch them around, it doesn't go either up or down and the whine of the pump is a much higher pitch. If the tilt cylinder goes all the way up, the sound changes when it gets to the top, like its working harder of course. When I switch the wires to come down, it just whines at that higher pitch. Hope you can understand what I'm trying to get at.

Motor is fine. Runs perfect and pumps fine. I loosened all the screws for the heck of it. They all came right out. Just cant get the darn thing to lower....

Back