Logo

Could my 35a merc be out of timing?

birddseedd

So, when i got the boat, iv always had to put it in gear and give it some gas to get started. There is a big "thing" that i believe to be the distributor that turns when you accelerate. Now that the engine is running id like to get it to idle. The top of the distributor is a gear with a belt to the engine. I'm not sure if its out of adjustment, or if its out of timing.

If the timing was off, would it "come into timing" when you give it gas, just, with the timing off set? Or would it not run at all.

It pretty much doesn't idle, maybe for a tad bit. I just lay off the gas to shut the engine down.

or it could just be adjustment and the distributor needs to be turned a bit more at idle.

What do you think? thanks for the help.

the engine. https://www.marineengine.com/parts/...rk-35a/all/magneto-adaptor-and-pilot-assembly (i guess its a magneto)

Step # 1 is to remove the bottom half of the magneto.----------Then clean and set the breaker points to 0.008 / 0.010" and re-install it.-------------Easy to do.

Hardest part of the job is to encourage yourself to start on it.----------4 small bolts to seperate the bottom half of the magneto.------Nothing to it.

Back