Logo

Control Box 65 hp hydro electric shift

brent

" I have a 1972 65 hp Johnson

" I have a 1972 65 hp Johnson and need a control box and cables. anyone know where I can aquire one of these at? Also, need to know if the 1973 65HP parts will work on the 1972 65HP engines and where to aquire parts for the engine.

Thanks,

Brent "

Control box is different and

Control box is different and the bottom end is different.One is electric shift and the 73 is mechanical shift with hydraulic assist.

My Location is Arkansas. Is

My Location is Arkansas. Is there a way to convert my motor from the hydro electric shift and if so would it be worth it.

There is nothing wrong with t

There is nothing wrong with the design of the shift system.It can be switched to the later POWER II shift but if you have to pay somebody it is not worth it. What is wrong with the present set-up?

I have a 1973 65hp with elect

I have a 1973 65hp with electric shift and I can not get it to shift. I have tested some or the wires but now I'm not sure if I got them back right. do you know where they go or how I can find out? I also think I have a bad solinoid. Someone also told me that oil type is a big deal.

The 73 did not have electric

The 73 did not have electric shift. The hydro- electric shift motors need to be running to shift gears.Type c gear oil is the stuff for 72 and older electric shift.

well I took the shift assembl

well I took the shift assembly apart and at the bottom front corner there is a black plastic piece with a lever in it that the shifter moves back and forth depending on whether your in reverse or forward or nuteral. I assume that its supposed to be spring loaded. I put it back into the neutral position and it fired right up. is that a part that I can buy?? and if not what does it actuall do?

" To shift these motors, the e

" To shift these motors, the engine must be running, (pump Pressure)moves clutch-dog, ie name hydro-electric. to test switch, disconnect two wires from engine harness that go dowwn to foot (located at rear of engine by hood latch. One green, one blue, w/ knife type terminals inside rubber sleeve. Forward gear should have 12v on NO wires, Neutral, 12v on 1 wire, reverse 12v on both wires. this will determine switch or foot problems. Soleinoids should ohm out @ 16 ohms.
these units are very dependable if the oil is kept clean. 75W gear oil max. (no 90-140) "

Back