Logo

BF15DKOSHC 2014 restart after several years, what to do

bi-eff

Hi,
right before Covid lockdown (few years ago...) I prepared my BF15D for the "next season". Replaced sparks, drained gas, new fuel filter, put in a new impeller, changed oil (engine and leg), but then Covid kicked in. Engine sat there since. I assume sparks and oil shall still be OK, where changing isn't a big deal either. But not sure about the impeller sitting there dry at temperatures between +25 °C and -45°C.
My questions for the experts, shall I better replace the impeller and is it a good idea to put in a "new" impeller Kit dated 2017, or shall I better get a new one?
Are there good alternative brands or shall I go with HONDA parts ?
txs

Hi,
I wouldn't be too concerned about the impeller sitting for 3 or 4 years. 10 years maybe but not under 5.

Although, I see it's got an electric starter so maybe, to be safe, you could leave the carb dry and release the kill switch (pull the lanyard) and turn it over by the pull starter several times to "exercise" the pump at low rpm prior to turning it at 1k right off the bat.

Does your outboard have the "fuel chamber" between the fuel pump and carburetor? Item #2 in the link below.

If so, I highly recommend that you remove it and drain any liquid from it if you haven't already done so. That is a "maintenance item" I found keeps problems from happening if done once or twice a year.
That chamber acts as a water trap and can really cause you headaches if not emptied occasionally. A pia but worth the effort to avoid problems.

Other than thar. I think you're good to go.

Good luck.

Hi,
After thinking about this some more, I realize that I may have missed something that could be important.
And that was: did this outboard sit outside during those extreme cold temperatures? If so, putting your spare in might be the wisest course.

Good luck.

I like jgmo idea of turning it over by hand a few times with the lower unit in a barrel of water, it’s been sitting for 2.5 years and there is always the possibility that most of the engine oil has settled in the sump leaving the top of the engine dry. By turning the engine over with the kill switch out you will also splash some oil around the engine which can’t hurt. Introducing a teaspoon of engine oil into the plug holes will help with initial compression, good chance your rings are dry. I had a Yamaha 4 stroke dirt bike years ago that would be nearly impossible to start after the winter layup unless I put some oil in the top of the cylinder. Spark plug was removed while I’d kick it over half a dozen times. I’m not a mechanic but introducing oil to the spark plug hole was suggested to me by a mechanic whom I trust.

@jgmo ...the spare kit was also exposes to the extreme temperatures, its al in a bush cabin...
@William01 Thanks for reminding with the oil into the cylinders, that's what I usually do as well, this time I didn't think about it.

I’ve used brand new impellers that have sat for 3 Saskatchewan winters and have had no issues when I finally install it. Your new old impeller kit from 2017 will be fine, I agree with jgmo that your will probably be ok with the “newly” installed kit, pre Covid, if it’s not then you can replace the impeller since you have a spare. There is a school of thought that engine and lower unit oil will pick up moisture(condensation) just sitting. For the amount of oil that you would need to replace you might want to consider replacing the oils. I don’t know enough about oils and condensation to really give an honest answer. Perhaps Google could shed some light on the subject. If you did change the oils the existing oil filter would be fine to leave on.

Reading all your valuable input, it looks like I am best off if I redo the entire service. Cost of service parts and oil indeed isn't a big deal. It is just the labor which I guess I'll plan for a sunny day w/o Mosquitoes 😉, so I am not in a rush. BBQ and beer shall be prepared for the late afternoon....after work is done.

Speaking about service parts like impeller and filters. Do you guys go with genuine Honda or just any aftermarket piece. So far I bought Honda for the premium price, expecting no fails, which worked so far. Any failure up here in the Yukon wilderness can result in a big bill, if not serious trouble.

Back