Logo

Bell housing/Flywheel cover fit

Dieter

Advanced Contributor
I am in the process of swapping out a 4.3 l to a 5.0 in a 2004 Sea Ray 200 sport (Previous Owner didn't winterize). Im in the process of fitting up the accessories from old to new engine. How tight a fit is the bell housing on the dowel pins coming out of the block? I have approx 1/16" play, which seemed loose. It was my understanding that the 4.3 and 5.0 used the same bell housing (original 4.3 Serial # is OM491962, replacement 5.0 is newly purchased partial engine from Michigan Motorz - GM base motor).

Is this incorrect that it should fit ok?

Thanks for your help

Ok thanks for your help. The 4.3 had metric fasteners on the bellhousing, starter and front motor mounts, but US size for front accessories, so the bellhousing fit made me think there was a larger compatibility issue. I can handle one or the other but both on the same block...

One other question do you have drawings where to locate the front motor mount holes when converting from 4.3 to a 5.0? If I go off the mercruiser install drawings I should just be 4 3/8" forward of 4.3 mount holes. Do I need a diagonal dimension off of transom mount hole to ensure it is square? Does any one have the drill size for the lag screws. Am a over thinking this ....thanks

One other question do you have drawings where to locate the front motor mount holes when converting from 4.3 to a 5.0? If I go off the mercruiser install drawings I should just be 4 3/8" forward of 4.3 mount holes. Do I need a diagonal dimension off of transom mount hole to ensure it is square? Does any one have the drill size for the lag screws. Am a over thinking this ....thanks

Ayuh,... The best way to find that spot, is to hang the motor on the lift, align it(with the tool) with the bolts in the rear motor mounts, 'n mark where ya need the front mounts,....

If I understand your question correctly,

the physical location ON the engine for the motor mounts should be the same, 4.3 V6 or 305/350V8
the difference is from there forward. The V6 is essentialy a V8 less the two front cylinders. The motor mounts are behind the two front cylinders.

SO everything should simple re- bolt up. The stringer bolts should be left loose so side to side alignment can get accomplished during alignment. Of course as said it will need to be aligned from the gimbal bearing to the coupler to do this.

Also if going to a V8 make sure you have at least 8-10 inches between the V6 front pulley and the current floor. It may need more but 8 inches may work.
Lots of boats with V6's equipped boats are designed around that size (length) motor.

Last edited:
Well said.

I once considered racing a Chevy V-6, thinking parts would be cheap since it's "just a V-8 with a couple of cylinders missing'. Au contraire! Virtually every internal part is non-interchangeable with the V-8s, including pistons and rods.

Jeff

Back