Logo

91 Johnson 70 hp lower unit removal

Dies91

Hello all I'm having trouble figuring out how to remove the lower unit on a 70hp to install a new water pump. I have shifted the motor into reverse and was looking to find the pin that needs removed to free the linkage to the lower unit. Im pretty sure I've located the pin but I do not see any bolt head to remove the pin. The port side of the motor behind the vro i can clearly see a pin but no bolt head and the starboard side it so tight its hard to tell but it doesn't look like there is a bolt head either it sort of looks jagged almost like its been sheared off but its hard to tell... any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Last edited:
I removed the pin holding the main lever going to the linkage that is connected to the lower case this allowed the same lever to be pushed forward toward the port side instantly releasing the pin. much easier process than I thought it was going to be!

I removed the pin holding the main lever going to the linkage that is connected to the lower case this allowed the same lever to be pushed forward toward the port side instantly releasing the pin. much easier process than I thought it was going to be!
I have to go through the same process to replace a water pump on a 1992 70HP Johnson since you have this figured out any help would be much appreciated. I would assume it's the same as the 91. Should I remove the pin before I take the bolts out of the lower unit? Do I put it in reverse to take the pin out? I'm unclear about how you " pushed forward toward the port side" Port is to one side. Are you pushing forward and port at the same time. Thanks

Back