Logo

1970 Johnson 33hp,water pump/tube problem

Johnson33

No water reaches the engine,the impeller seames OK.
But the copper tube has a drilled hole of 3 mm,and there are also one 3 mm hole drilled
in the motor block close to the copper tube.
The cooling water is flowing out of these holes.
What is the function of the holes?
Cant I just block the holes to increase the water pressure?

No water reaches the engine,the impeller seems OK. But the copper tube has a drilled hole of 3 mm,and there are also one 3 mm hole drilled in the motor block close to the copper tube.

Do not block those holes. They're there to supply a cooling spray to the interior of the long exhaust housing. If they weren't there, the housing would get so hot, the paint would burn off.

Check the compression to make sure that there is not a blown head gasket. This would allow combustion to enter the water passages that would result in a stalemate.... water coming up, combustion going down, the water can go no further and just sits there and boils.

If compression is as it should be and the gasket is obviously good, replace the water pump assembly.

I try to buy the impeller from US but they want 20 USD or more to send it here to Sweden.
The price for the impeller is around 13 USD.
Is there any company that can send this 30 gram impeller in a plane letter like ebay-members do,to a cheaper price.
The part number is for OMC 775521,for sierra 18-3006,for Mallory 9-45217.
In the discription it says that the hole is 3/4 Inch,if I transform that to millimeter that we use here it will be 19 mm.
But the hole in the impeller is 16 mm.That is confusing.
It is difficult to find the impeller here because the motor is old.

I dont live near any shop where they sell parts to old Johnsons.
The best way for me is to buy one online and get it delivered with a post letter.
And Sweden has no market for that,I have searched.

Back