Logo

1968 Evinrude 9.5 Driveshaft

Hookinpigs

I noticed a factory groove below pin hole on the DS.
Is this where the inside diameter of the rubber seal suppose to ride ?

I did a psi ( 9psi ) test with a bucket of water and found bearing housing gasket leaking.
I took it apart for a redo and noticed the groove on the driveshaft.
Thanks.

IMG_0440.jpeg

Just wear, normal. Probably will be okay with a fresh seal.
I see the wear spots but this groove is smooth, ( factory ).
I’ve seen several vids for this type of repair and no mention of it.
If it does suppose to ride the groove, it would require some precision calculation to get it there.
When the seal is somewhat flush there is plenty of space left. Wall deeper than seal height.
You’re probably right because I doubt I had it in the groove and the seal didn’t leak there.

You can see that the shaft is " hard chrome " plated for the bushing area.----I have a few of these driveshafts and will see what they look like.----I do not believe the seal rides near that groove.

The groove is seal wear, not "factory". Very common. If possible, adjust the new seal height enoungh to ride on an unworn area.

The groove is seal wear, not "factory". Very common. If possible, adjust the new seal height enoungh to ride on an unworn area.
Good deal. I could very easily press it just below flush, plenty of room to do so. Probably the intended idea, when things were engineered to last for decades.
Thank you.

Yes this is quality equipment. Seals may vary in exact lip location, depending on the manufacturer. You should locate new seal to ride next to the old wear groove as previously mentioned.

Back