Logo

1955 Johnson 10 hp QD-16 rebuild

Having problems finding pistons and rings for this particular engine I was hoping to use older or newer pistons my part number is obsolete someone said I could use pistons out of a 61 62
or 63 year model and install them in my engine with bigger rods I actually have some coming from eBay out of a 1952 model I figured that the bore and stroke for 10 hours would be the same all across the board so I don’t understand why there’s so many different part numbers for the pistons and rings has anyone had this problem and where did you go to get the parts. I noticed a piston available on a 1958 but then no rings for that one anyways I’m trying to restore it back to original condition any help will be greatly appreciated thanks again God bless

No doubt you have visited ----leroysramblings-----He has detailed information on the QD motors.-----Even shows a picture of a " blowed up " aluminum rod / bearing.----Said to be from a 10 Hp model QD.-----Fact is that the QD never had aluminum rods and plain big end bearings !!!!

I don't have the parts books for 1955, so can't guarantee this answer 100%. However, I'm reasonably sure the 1961-63 rods and pistons will fit your 1955. Can't say I' so confident about the 1953. The facts are that the 10hp motors pre-1961 had a bad habit of beating the wrist pin bores loose in the pistons. 1961-63 motors had much improved wrist pins & rods with much larger W/P bearings. Replacing with the newer setup is highly suggested. BUT, you have to replace all the parts, pistons, rods, wrist pins, wrist pin bearings, and snap rings. You cannot just do half the job.

Racer one Do have two pistons and rods that you could sell me. Good used ones. I’m trying to keep the cost down. This is actually my first boat motor rebuild. I’m just a rookie learning as I go. Thank you for your help

Simply amazing that some parts are still on hand for 60 year old motors.---And cheap too.------Parts for many 20 year old motors are listed as NLA !!

Thank you for that information. I actually found all the parts I need off of marin.com but I can’t afford $510 for two pistons rods and bearings. I haven’t even started on the carburetor or the ignition system or the water pump so if I buy everything new I have a fortune in this engine

I need to get some of your knowledge from you I have the new pistons from the 1961 model 10 hp Johnson putting them into my 1955 10 hp Johnson does the wrist pins have to be Pressed in. Are they interference fit they don’t seem to start very well. I have the rods the bearings the pistons and the wrist pins all from the 1961 model. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you God bless

The wrist pins are a slip fit in one side of the piston, and a press fit in the other side. The pistons should be marked on the inside with the word "LOOSE", or maybe just an "L" on the slip fit side. Procedure is important to prevent distorting the pistons. The tight side must be supported while you slip the pin in through the loose side and press it on into the tight side. If for any reason you have to remove the pin, the same method is used. Support the tight side and press the pin on all the way through. Don't try to press it back out through the loose side.

I'm looking for a replacement bottom Core Plug...original part number 19-51.
Anyone know of an equivalent part number &/or where I can buy one or what I can use in place of a rusted out plug?

Back