Logo

Yamaha reliable????????

I have a 2016 Yamaha 250 with 112 hours of run. Unfortunately, I was unable to run it much since i was unable to run it much while the warranty was still on.. The engine failed after 112 hours of run. Through the #1 piston rod through the block. The rod appears to have bent from what appeared to be crystallization and cocked the pistons over, the rod then pulled the piston pin though the eye and as it was doing this, it broke the rod.
Trying to even communicate with Yamaha, they were were like ostriches sticking their head in the sand and not even attempting to be honest and find out what the reason was.
The distributer pulled the computer data pre failure, and all showed up to be good.
I researched the web and found another guy that lost his at 98 hours and Yamaha tucked their heads there also. The only difference, I believe was Yamaha made a change in the 250 engine configuration around the time of our purchase. They moved the 3.3 Liter to a 4.2 liter.
It is amazing how a company of this size would not even attempt to find the Reason.
I work as a SR. Engineer for a OEM that has built natural gas engines since 1833 and we have stood behind our product when our engines are worth millions.

Yes----4 stroke motors will grenade themselves.-----And nobody wants to fix / rebuild them.-----Find ---crowleys marine----They may have something on the shelf for you.

I have a 2016 Yamaha 250 with 112 hours of run. Unfortunately, I was unable to run it much since i was unable to run it much while the warranty was still on.. The engine failed after 112 hours of run. Through the #1 piston rod through the block. The rod appears to have bent from what appeared to be crystallization and cocked the pistons over, the rod then pulled the piston pin though the eye and as it was doing this, it broke the rod.
Trying to even communicate with Yamaha, they were were like ostriches sticking their head in the sand and not even attempting to be honest and find out what the reason was.
The distributer pulled the computer data pre failure, and all showed up to be good.
I researched the web and found another guy that lost his at 98 hours and Yamaha tucked their heads there also. The only difference, I believe was Yamaha made a change in the 250 engine configuration around the time of our purchase. They moved the 3.3 Liter to a 4.2 liter.
It is amazing how a company of this size would not even attempt to find the Reason.
I work as a SR. Engineer for a OEM that has built natural gas engines since 1833 and we have stood behind our product when our engines are worth millions.
The 3.3 liter F250 was offered from 2005 through 2018. A run of 13 years. One of the best models Yamaha has ever produced. The 4.2 liter was first offered in 2009. Still being offered today. A completely different design.

When you mention Yamaha I presume that you contacted Yamaha USA. A distributor for Yamaha Japan. Yamaha USA does not have the engineering staff available to analyze and determine failure analysis. Having said that, they are somewhat familiar with the issues that can result in a bent connecting rod. A bent rod typically is not the result of any type of material defect in the motor. Something external to the motor can bend a connecting rod. Water ingestion or detonation for instance.

Failure analysis can be quite costly. The motor would have to be shipped to Japan. At great expense with no certainty that the cause of the failure could be determined. Possibly no smoking gun is ever found. But even if the root cause of the failure of your specific motor was found it would not matter. The motor was long out of warranty. Yamaha has no responsibility once the warranty is over. That burden falls on the owner.

Back