Logo

Yamaha f90 not priming on startup

c-level

Contributing Member
Hello I've got a problem that I'm trying to track down. I have a yamaha 4stroke f90 and had never had any issues until now. I was at idle and the motor quit. Trying to restart it only let the engine run a few seconds and then stop. It is not the primer bulb as the bulb remained hard. It may have been because I was low on gas and possibly something got passed the filters into the engine?

My main issue seems to be the pump is not priming on the first key click. I usually hear a whirring sound for three or so seconds, this is not happening now. I am going to check the fuses first. I know on my old honda 4 stroke when I had this problem I was able to jump the high pressure pump with some wires and if the pump ran it turned out to be the main relay.

I have a few questions.
1. During start up, what is the normal start up path, ie First click of the key starts the high pressure pump, then ignition, then low pressure pump once the mechanical parts begin moving?
2. What wires do I need to check to jump the high pressure pump? I read about a black and yellow wire. Is it possible to reverse the polarity to the pump to unjam anything that is inside it?
3. What process should I check in order? Fuses first, then jump the high pressure pump, then disassemble the vst to get to the high pressure pump?

Many thanks!

Back