Logo

Yamaha be 70hp mid eighties help please

gazzagary46

my mate has this engine which has had some problems recently. when we went out the trip before last the buzzer sounded and there did not seem much water coming out. We changed the impellor and there is a healthy water flow now. on the next trip I noticed that when we turned off the ignition the engine still ran and also when i removed the deadman it took several minutes to actually stop in neutral quite scarey really. We still ran for a short trip and after ten minutes the buzzer sounded again despite the good water flow. we stopped and after ten minutes we could start the engine without the buzzer.

we then ran towards shore at lower revs around half throttle towards shore and everything was fine. We then fished for a while feeling safer close to home. On the return trip the engine refused to start but did eventually when we removed and replaced the deadman. However on the way home the engine cut out twice when we tried to move the throttle when running at a slow speed.

We managed to get home safely and think we need to get into the control box, check the ignition and the deadman for a loose connection. I am i correct in thinking the warning buzzer sounds if there are errors apart from engine heat? would it sound if there is some kind of short with the dead man or ignition switch cheers for any help.

Back