Logo

Yamaha 150 Vmax 2001-remove the oil injection pump and fool the CDI

Pat W

New member
I need to remove and disable the oil injection system on my 2001 Yamaha 150 2 stroke. Is that possible? Do no have a fuel injected motor. Where can I find instructions on what is required?
 
Last edited:
I'm not following you as to why you want to disable the oil injection system. But I recon to do so just drain the oil and disconnect the oil pumps link rod, which attaches to the carb lever.
 
Why do you want to disable the oil injection. Yamaha has the best oil injection in the business even guys who rebuild those motors don't disable the injection.
 
Why do you want to disable the oil injection. Yamaha has the best oil injection in the business even guys who rebuild those motors don't disable the injection.

I have replaced the external oil pump, the water pump and both thermostats. I have checked the motor oil pu mp output and is pumping, but the motor will only run a short time - for goes back in safe mode (2000 RPM with horn)
I don't know what to do.
Thanks for your reply.
 
I have replaced the external oil pump, the water pump and both thermostats. I have checked the motor oil pu mp output and is pumping, but the motor will only run a short time - for goes back in safe mode (2000 RPM with horn)
I don't know what to do.
Thanks for your reply.

I can appreciate your frustration. But respectfully, you don't go pulling out essential parts because you can't figure out the problem. So if you want some help with troubleshooting you'll have to start from the beginning when the problem occurred and what you've done in attempts to fix.

The 2 alarm systems tied into your tachometer is the low oil alarm and high temp alarm. Each has a symbol on the tach and a line blinks over the symbol that corresponds to the system that activated the alarm. In response to this alarm the engine reduces rpms to 2000 (limp mode).

So my first question would be which alarm are you getting, low oil or high temp?
 
Just yesterday my oil injection quit working on my '09 Vmax and no alarm. Motor is probably done. So much for best in the biz. Best to get rid of it. Mix it yourself.



I can appreciate your frustration. But respectfully, you don't go pulling out essential parts because you can't figure out the problem. So if you want some help with troubleshooting you'll have to start from the beginning when the problem occurred and what you've done in attempts to fix.

The 2 alarm systems tied into your tachometer is the low oil alarm and high temp alarm. Each has a symbol on the tach and a line blinks over the symbol that corresponds to the system that activated the alarm. In response to this alarm the engine reduces rpms to 2000 (limp mode).

So my first question would be which alarm are you getting, low oil or high temp?
 
Just yesterday my oil injection quit working on my '09 Vmax and no alarm. Motor is probably done. So much for best in the biz. Best to get rid of it. Mix it yourself.

Since you've commented on a thread pertaining to the Yamaha Oil Injection system, I assume your engine utilizes the same system. With that said, the oil injection alarm system will only alert the operator if insufficient oil is sensed in the reserve and/or main oil tank. The alarm does not sense when the oil pump stops functioning. The metered pump is driven by the crankshaft. So as long as the crankshaft is turning the oil pump will deliver oil. It is unlikely and uncommon the pump itself has failed. Though its components can fail. If the oil injection pump stopped delivering oil to the engine for a significant amount of engine hours, surely the level of oil located in the reserve tank would be noticed as to not have dropped in that given number of engine hours. However, if you're not accustomed to eyeballing the reserve tank every now and then, I could understand not noticing your engine not burning oil.
 
Back
Top