Logo

Yachtwin 3HP Water Pump

SKIDDERWOLF

Now that I have this engine running, I do not see any water coming out of the exhaust holes in the leg, should I? or does it exit through the larger vent just above the prop?

It just spits out the exhaust holes.-----But if you do not know the condition of the impeller it needs a new one.-----There is no shut down system or overheat warning on these motors.-----They will run till they come to a " dynamic halt "

I've checked today running without the prop and there is a fair bit of water being pushed through the exhaust hole. I didn't fancy putting my hand down there with the prop running.

I will post a picture of what it should look like. You can see the "spitting" better on the port side of this 1964 3 hp.

Attachments

• IMG_20200411_152734777_compress25.jpg
    IMG_20200411_152734777_compress25.jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
??----You stuck your hand in the water to check for water pump operation ??----Install a new impeller.----It mists out of those holes at the back of the exhaust housing if working properly.

Remember, motors almost always turn clockwise looking from above.....so with pump housing in hand, install impeller, (now upside down), turning counter clockwise. I pre lube with Freylube rubber lube....anything is better than nothing, but some may argue that water is good enough. Make sure as you tighten down the housing to the base plate, you slightly turn the impeller, in its proper direction, then finally bring snug the housing. Why? I have seen several impellers....installed by others, where the bottom tip of the fingers, (one or more), are "nipped" off.????

Last edited:
Im not getting much wayer spitting out so will purchase a new impeller. What os the large hole fol then, just exhaust. I had the engine runing with no prop and the water was bubbling from this area.

It's exhaust and main water discharge. Make sure the little holes in picture, are open and not partially plugged. Make sure to get a good quality impeller. I don't advise the complete kits which often involve a smaller diameter and "whimpy" impeller. Why? Because the fingers are short and thin, tightly wrapped, short life....cheaper synthetic rubber. The OEM design utilized a long lazy finger, not flimsy, larger water chamber....everything good.

Last edited:
There are some good ones available on eBay....just look closely. The higher quality ones generally have copper/alloy/brass hubs.

Last edited:
Back