Logo

Won't crank, power at starter, can short to start - 1990 Evinrude 70

surprise

New member
I got this party barge with a 1990 evinrude 70 hp motor in it. At the guys house I disconnected the portable gas tank and cranked it to make sure the motor wasn't locked.

Now I have it home and I can't get it to crank at all by turning the key.

Shows I have 12-13v and when I press in to prime it drops a little bit like my other motors I've had.

Nothing when I turn it to run/ start.

I pulled the cowling and shorted the starter and it turns.

Messed with it for hours trying.

At one brief second I had my hand on both levers and it started cracking for like two seconds then stopped again. (I thought I may have found the correct starting points for the levers, but nothing afterwards)

I know I shouldn't have even thought oh I found it because I know I need it in neutral :) to crank.

My mind just going after the frustration I guess.

Any help you could give would truly be appreciated.

I can't figure it out for the life of me.
 
Test the neutral start switch in the control box.----Checked the 20 amp fuse near the start solenoid ?----Install a new water pump impeller before your first launch.----And does the tell tale hose fitting come off the side of the block or the top of the block?
 
Test the neutral start switch in the control box.----Checked the 20 amp fuse near the start solenoid ?----Install a new water pump impeller before your first launch.----And does the tell tale hose fitting come off the side of the block or the top of the block?
Fuse is good.

Pee fitting comes off the side.

How can I test the switch?

And would you happen to know what the pigtail connection is to it wasn't connected and I see one of the pins is broke.
20231205_150525.jpg
 
The latest water pump kit 0432955 has instructions to move the tell tale and make cooling system improvements.-----Those should have been done as per a service bulletin in 1994, yes 1994.---Do a complete evaluation of this motor before spending any beer tokens.-----And do a compression test for future reference.----Post the numbers here.----If those wires are blue and green they might be for the power trim motor
 
Back
Top