Logo

Winterizing idle speed Merc 2000 ELPTONew to me

marshallman

Just bought this 2000 Bayliner

Just bought this 2000 Bayliner 1802 Capri. Dealer says to winterize add stabilizer to tank and let it run thru the engine which I did. Then remove plugs and spray fogging oil into cylinders. Anything else? Never had to winterize before since there is not much of a winter in Miami FL. Also had to adjust idle to 675 RPM no load is this correct? Was idleing at about 1200 RPM with no load. At 675 RPM Idles rough should I crank it up a little more? Any advice would be appreciated. I have not owned a boat in 20 years. Thanks in advance.

"William, idle should be 650-7

"William, idle should be 650-700 in gear, so maybe 100 more, no load would be fine.

Aside from what you have winterized already you may want to change the lower unit gear oil - just in case of water intrusion. It should be done once a year anyhow, so it's a good time to do it.

Some will spray a light coat of fogging oil or WD-40 over the powerhead to protect the wires, hoses and powerhead itself from condensation.

Other than that, it's best to store it in an upright position - if on the boat, trimmed all the way down - and keep it covered, but not air tight (so no shrink wrap entirely covering the motor)...

I also change the plugs and impeller (if due). That way it's ready to go first thing in the spring...."

"Thanks,Gear oil was changed b

"Thanks,Gear oil was changed by the dealer.I haven't taken the boat out . Thought I would just put it up for the winter. I'll get to the plugs and impeller in the spring. Also I'll put the battery back in and tilt the motor down."

Back