tazzerblue
New member
I have rebuilt 4.3L carb engine from 1995 boat. and Have a chance to buy a 2005 boat with cracked block 4.3L carb with volvo drive. Are the blocks the same? or same bolt pattern for the drive? I just want to swap the engines.
MarineEngine.com does not offer troubleshooting assistance or repair advice by email or by telephone.
You are invited to join our public Boat Repair Forum to seek assistance from other members.
You may also visit the Boat Motor Manuals section of our site to obtain a service manual.
Volvo is a 2005. Minnesota lake boat. my rebuilt 4.3 Merc. 1995 Minnesota lake boat.. This is getting complicated. I assume gimbles are different. Or I would just transfer entire engine and drive..You need to have an engine mounted raw water pump
Check the number of teeth on the flywheel
You will need to use the Volvo Bell housing most likely
.... and the Volvo starter
Then there is the cooling system issue... Mercs usually have Raw water cooling systems while Volvos usually have a "partial" FWC system
... in the partial FWC system, the block is "inside" the "fresh water' ( antifreeze) system along with the heat exchanger, while the exhaust manifold
and elbows are in the sea water cooled circuit. Plumbing and gaskets between the manifold and elbows are different for different cooling systems.
How old are the manifolds and elbows on each ( old and "new") motors... and was the "new"engine used in fresh or salt water... and how long?
Ayuh,...... Life don't work that way,......Volvo is a 2005. Minnesota lake boat. my rebuilt 4.3 Merc. 1995 Minnesota lake boat.. This is getting complicated. I assume gimbles are different. Or I would just transfer entire engine and drive..
Long blocks will be mostly the same. Intake on 1995 will be a 12 bolt non vortec 2005 will have vortec heads and. 8 bolt intake. I think front drive belt for accessories will be different. Flywheel cover and coupler should swap.I have rebuilt 4.3L carb engine from 1995 boat. and Have a chance to buy a 2005 boat with cracked block 4.3L carb with volvo drive. Are the blocks the same? or same bolt pattern for the drive? I just want to swap the engines.