Logo

Why Johnson engines are white? (black sooth)

Chusudar

Hello,
Since last year I own a Johnson 30hp two stroke outboard engine (1993) (BJ30BAETA = B - BELGIUM, J - JOHNSON, 30 - 30HP, BA -AC Lighting Rope Start, ET - 93 year, A - model run suffix - ???) which is my first boat engine :) I've had some problems with it (last yeat water pump propeller broke) and some carb cleaning/tuning (just few weeks ago) but I guess it works fine now :)

There is one thing I don't understand and I can't find answer to that.

Either something is still wrong with the engine (more probable) or somebody had a really bad idea painting it white - but I've seen tons of pictures of white Johnson engines and none was as dirty as mine. Please see the pictures. Left hand side - engine after winter cleaning, right hand side - engine after 2h cruise. What are these holes for? (exhaust relief valve is on the other side of the mid section facing "the lake" or "the sea"), those wholes are facing boat. Why it gets so messy? Fuel was fresh, oil as well (Shell Nautilius with parameters as describes in manual), oil/fuel ratio 1:50. New spark plugs.

I believe it shouldn't be that back, should it? Outerwise why would anybody manufacture "white" engine?!

p.jpg

Paint color got nothing to do with it. Those holes drain the drive shaft isolation tube. Water will pour out of them when running. It should be no dirtier than the water it is running in (which may be nasty if running in a barrel). However, it is my guess that the tube and or seals may be missing from atop the water pump housing. That would allow exhaust discharge to blow out those holes. Exhaust is nasty black stuff., See the parts list.

BTW, if I am correct, those missing parts will damage the drive shaft splines and lower main bearing/seal in the powerhead for the same reason the drive shaft isolation tube is there in the first place.

Hello, engine fixed :) Thank you, that was this spacer missing :) Bought, installed, engine works perfect now, no more smoke, no more noise (it was so loud), middle part after two weeks of crusing as clean as before starting the trip :)

Back