Logo

whistle from under engine

jasoncalleja

Regular Contributor
Hi all i have a mercury outboard 60hp 4stroke Efi 2010 modeland from the first few hrs i started hearing a whistle noise that thought itwas coming from the engine now i have discovered that when the engine is in neutral it do the whistlesound and it is coming from the under engine i think it could be something fromthe impeller shaft when i accelerate therevs the whistle will be louder what you may think that it is?

Today i have removed the covers to see what can be causingthe whistle i have found salt dry on the leg as i use it in salt water then istarted the motor in a water thank and left the engine to warm up for about10min and when i accelerate it to 3000rpm the whistle begun i tried rinse the drive shaft the upper part that goes through engine with garden hose andthe whistle stopped what i did now is i lubricate it with some spray grease andthen i sprayed rust guard on the shaft does some one knows if there is any kindof seal between the engine and the shaft that have to be lubricated? Thanks

Back