Logo

Where to buy or what to substitute

lucky_bum

The Clymer Shop Manual refers

The Clymer Shop Manual refers to many OMC tools and parts that I have found and can purchase on this web site. It is a wonderful source for the DIY'er.

Where to buy?? Or what to sub for?

OMC Gasket Sealing Compound

OMC Adhesive M

I recently changed out the thermostat and installed the water pump impeller on my new found 1986 Yachtwin 6 HP Evinrude using the available kit. When reassembling the gaskets and cleaning up the threads of the bolts ( but used the new bolts supplied in the kit) I used RTV sensor safe ( Permatex ) on the threads as well. I have been told by a professional OMC tech that I should not have used the RTV sealer on an aluminium motor.. Am I in trouble? Comments welcome. BTW this shop has work backed up for 6 months. There were motors sitting all over the place waiting to be worked on.

"tech: "you shouldn't

"tech: "you shouldn't have used RTV, you will destroy your engine"
you: "why?"
tech: "I'm not tellin' and there's a 6 month wait - get in line"

I love this business....

Your 6hp will be fine, Chuck.

The Adhesive type M is a contact cement. Unlike some contact cements, it cures a bit slower so you get a second chance to place a gasket. Some of the GM ones - you get one shot!

The problem with RTV is it is slippery until cured so gaskets want to spit out like lemon seeds between your fingers when you try to line up housings and such, but the newer permatex automotive rtv's are way better than gen purpose rtv of 1986. "

"Hy Stat,

Like your humor !

"Hy Stat,

Like your humor !! Hee he. But that was almost the exact scenario. Do you recommend to continue using the RTV ? I just used it on the bolt needed to replace the lower gear case ,thermostat and water impeller. Or is there something better? What is coming up is since I have excessive exhaust coming up and from under the engine cover I wanna remove the power head to see if I can find a blockage, ( rodent nest ) or something. As I understand I wanna use something on the bolt threads to ensure easy removal should I ever need to go back."

u need------
1. permatex avia

u need------
1. permatex aviation formagasket-brush-in-lid
2. 3 m weatherstrip adhesive
use permatex on all g-case bolts

Back