Logo

Where can I get a replacement part for my 84 7.5 Gamefisher ?

Chucky19702

New member
This piece is broken on mine. How important is it that a chunk is missing? Any clue on what it’s worth? I picked it up from an estate? It looks like it’s been taken care of and no varnish smell from? Thanks
 

Attachments

  • 95625F20-8CAB-4F77-98A1-8FDB7C8F0D03.jpeg
    95625F20-8CAB-4F77-98A1-8FDB7C8F0D03.jpeg
    387.8 KB · Views: 37
It’s called a skeg. Basically to help protect the propeller from striking bottom, & forces leg to kick up it you hit a deadhead log, hopefully saving the prop. A minor function is to act as an anti cavitation device, prevent water in front of the prop from wanting to spin due to friction from water the prop is turning.
You probably cannot buy the part, either look for a cheap donor motor, or have a good welder cut ,& weld a piece on.
I’ve had such a repair done on an I/O Merc I used to have. If you go that route, I would remove the bottom piece, or make sure the welder takes heat precaution, so you don’t cook the seals.
Those motors are not worth a lot, if you can bring the piece to a shop, & get it done fairly cheaply, (+ you’ll need to re-seal the joint upon re-assembly), it might be worthwhile…if the rest of the motor is in great shape.
Personally, I’d just run it, plenty of small outboards running around with busted skegs.
Check compression & spark before you invest any $
 
Back
Top