Logo

What usually breaks down on an old V4?

FiveStar

Contributing Member
Hey guys,
I run and old 1977 85hp Evinrude V4 and am curious to know what usually breaks down on them? Is there anything in particular I should watch out for? I'm having the water pump and carbs done this week but am keen to hear your thoughts.
Cheers

I'm guessing you no where near salt water??? Location??
The hoses and anything exposed to Ethanol.
Then the pressure relief springs in the cooling system get clogged.

The WORST thing about a 77 is they are so BAD on fuel.

Melbourne, Australia. Tell me about, this thing sucks gas! Lucky we can get fuel here without ethanol in it. Yes the boat is used in salt water. Thanks for the tips, how will I know if the relief springs are getting clogged?

Well if it's pumping a decent amount of water and running well, is it worth having the carbs and water pump serviced then? I have no idea when the were done last. I've owned the motor for just over a year and no troubles as of yet... I was think preventative maintenance but really how long will it last...

Water pump, yes if it hasn't been done recently. Carburetors? If it is running well, leave them alone. Just my opinion. Others won't agree. Of course there is always the regular maint stuff like change gear oil, lube, inspect hoses & wiring, etc.

Back